NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.
A South African court found a Nigerian televangelist not guilty on 32 charges Wednesday, eight years after he was jailed on accusations of raping and sexually assaulting several young women from his church.
Eastern Cape High Court judge Irma Schoeman said the prosecution had mishandled its case against Tim Omotoso, 66, senior pastor at the Jesus Dominion International (JDI) church based in South Africa.
Omotoso, arrested in 2017, fell to his knees and appeared to pray after the judge found him not guilty of all charges, which included sexual exploitation and human trafficking.
Schoeman said that while the pastor’s explanations appeared improbable, state prosecutors had not proved beyond reasonable doubt their case against him and two assistants who also faced charges.
“The accused are found not guilty and are discharged on all the charges,” she ruled.
The women who testified against Omotoso said they were handpicked by the pastor, who would pray for forgiveness after each encounter with them.
Some had been part of a gospel girl band called Grace Galaxy set up by the pastor and others were still at school, the judge said.
With South Africa battling high rates of rape and abuse of women and children, dozens of women picketed outside the court in the eastern coastal city of Gqeberha as the verdict was being read out.
Thousands of people rallied in several cities on Tuesday to demand that authorities take action after a seven-year-old girl was allegedly raped at her school last year. There have been no arrests.
According to police figures, 42,500 rapes were reported in South Africa in the financial year 2023-24. (AFP)
•Nigerian televangelist Timothy Omotoso and co-accused Lusanda Sulani and Zikiswa Sithoili have been acquitted. Image by: RAAHIL SAIN/IOL