



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

Protesting Women
?They killed my husband, two children, pregnant woman laments
?Widows, others protest killings, demand S?court judgement adherence
The people of Umuobor, Akaeze in Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, on Tuesday protested killings of their people in the land tussle between them and their Ogwor neighbors, Ishiagu both in the local government.
The two neighbours have been at war for more than five decades over a vast fertile land known as Elueke with many lives lost and properties worth billions of naira destroyed.
In 1991, supreme court delivered judgement in favour of Umuobor community over the land dispute.
The judgment ought to have laid the tussle to rest but killings, maiming and destructions have remained unabated.
Since last year, the land dispute has taken a more dangerous dimension with more killings and destructions, forcing Governor Francis Nwifuru to declare the land a buffer zone.
The Governor also set up a committee to find lasting solutions to the dispute.
Late last month, four person were killed on the disputed land while harvesting crops.
Three of those killed were from Umuobor while the fourth person, a woman came from Okue community in the Local Government.
The woman was harvesting cassava when she was killed.
Angered by the killings and destructions, the Umuobor people took to a protest on Tuesday. They carried placards with various inscriptions and marched round the area and it?s environs for hours.
The protesters made up of widows, youths and women, alleged that they have lost over 100 persons in the land tussle, describing it as unacceptable.
One of them, a pregnant woman, Felicia Ajali told Daily Sun that her husband and two children were killed on the land last month when she sent them to go and harvest food for the family.
? My husband and children were my strength and they have been killed. This land dispute has affected me a lot, I am the worst hit.
?I sent my husband and my two children to go and harvest cassava for me last month and they were killed. Look at my condition as a pregnant woman, how can I survive this condition?
?I had three children and they killed two of them. I now have only one child. Ogwor people and government should obey supreme court judgment and leave our land for us?, she said
One of the leaders of the community, Chief Sylvanus Ibeh explained that the Ogwor people dragged them to court and Umuobor won the matter from high court to supreme court and wondered why they are Ogwor people are dragging the land with them.
He lamented that Umuobor community has lost many lives and properties including schools, churches, houses and other valuable properties to the crisis. (Daily Sun)

























