



Updating your news feed...

NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. Published by Africa’s international award-winning journalist, Mr. Isaac Umunna, NEWS EXPRESS is Nigeria’s first truly professional online daily newspaper. It is published from Lagos, Nigeria’s economic and media hub, and has a provision for occasional special print editions. Thanks to our vast network of sources and dedicated team of professional journalists and contributors spread across Nigeria and overseas, NEWS EXPRESS has become synonymous with newsbreaks and exclusive stories from around the world.

National Security Adviser NSA, Nuhu Ribadu
Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP) has expressed displeasure over the way the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu, and accused his men of setting up a mechanism aimed at resuming oil exploration in Ogoniland despite mass protest on Saturday.
MOSOP President, Fegalo Nsuke, in a statement, said massive protests have disrupted its planned congress as the protestors carrying placards with various inscriptions, like ?Ledum Mitee and Ribadu, Leave Ogoni Alone.?
Nsuke also recalled that a delegation of Ogoni people led by Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, had recently visited President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu to negotiate a possible resumption of oil production.
According to him, the decision was received with mixed feelings as various interest groups expressed their displeasure with how the oil resumption plan has been executed.
Nsuke said the struggle of the Ogoni people had been championed by MOSOP noting that the people are very conscious of the sensitive situation and will rely on their position on the way to go.
He expressed worries that MOSOP, being left out, could create distrust in the hearts of the Ogoni people, adding that the process was being rushed in a way that could generate tension, anxiety and crises in Ogoni.
?A coalition of civil society groups known as the Ken Saro-Wiwa Exoneration Campaign yesterday, February 7, 2025, called for honesty and transparency in the process.?
He explained the group was not satisfied with the approach being adopted as it will not be acceptable to the Ogoni people and called for the exoneration of nine Ogoni activists killed along with Ken Saro-Wiwa by the Government on November 10, 1995.
?Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight others had been executed on the orders of General Sani Abacha after a widely condemned trial in Port Harcourt/ The convicts were denied the right to appeal their sentences.?
?Ogoni in the United States and Canada had earlier condemned the planned resumption of oil production in Ogoni and called for the exoneration of the innocent men including Ken Saro-Wiwa who were executed on November 10, 1994.? (The Guardian)
Aladépupo Julius Oloyédé
9th, Feb, 2025


