COVID-19: Two military men among Bayelsa’s three new patients

Posted by News Express | 25 May 2020 | 1,259 times

Gmail icon

•Bayelsa State governor, Douye Diri

By IGONIKO ODUMA, Yenagoa

Two military men are among the three new COVID-19 cases in Bayelsa State announced on Sunday night by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

Dr Inodu Apoku, the deputy chairman of the state’s COVID-19 Task Force, disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Yenagoa while providing details of the three new patients.

According to him, the third case was a household contact traced to the two military officers.

With the three new cases, Bayelsa has recorded four confirmed COVID-19 cases in three days.

The total number of confirmed cases in the state currently stands at 11 with five active cases, while six patients had been discharged and no death.

Apoku, who is also the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Health, said, “the three new cases yesterday are a cohort. They were referred to us by a medical doctor.”

“Their cases were investigated, and samples collected. They are also not epidemiologically linked to any of our previously confirmed cases but admitted to recent travel histories to Lagos and Delta States.”

“Two of them are military men while the third is a household contact to one of the two. They are all males.”

He said they had been evacuated to one of the state’s isolation centres and were all clinically stable and receiving medical care.

Apoku added: “All contacts to these four new confirmed cases are being line-listed and adequately followed up including necessary environmental decontamination.”

“Samples have and are still being collected from their high -risk contacts while they have all been counselled on self-quarantine. Risk communication and community engagement are ongoing.” (Daily Independent)


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...