Posted by News Express | 16 May 2020 | 930 times
Twenty new cases of the COVID-19 have been recorded in Kaduna State.
The State Ministry of Health disclosed this on Friday, noting that 15 out of the 20 cases comprise of family members and close contacts of previously confirmed cases.
According to the Commissioner for Health, Dr Amina Baloni, a four-month-old baby girl and six health workers were also among the new patients.
The infant is said to have been confirmed positive after she was taken to a hospital over some respiratory issues, and tested in accordance with the updated guidelines which advise that those who show such symptoms be tested.
Her parents have also been tested and they await their results.
Dr Baloni further explained that the 20 new cases are spread across seven local government areas with Chikun LGA having seven cases (including five members of the same family), four in Giwa and three in Kaduna North.
In addition, Sabon-Gari and Kaduna South have two cases each, while Igabi and Zaria have one case each.
The latest cases show that COVID-19 has spread into nine LGAs in the state: Chikun, Igabi, Giwa, Kaduna North, Kaduna South, Makarfi, Sabon-Gari, Soba and Zaria.
The Commissioner, therefore, warned that the widening spread of the COVID-19 means that the risk of infection has increased for persons who do not stay at home or who fail to observe necessary precautions when they go out.
Consequently, she advised residents to shun non-essential travel or interactions to avoid taking the virus home and infecting loved ones.
For parents especially, she said: “They must also exercise personal responsibility regarding not allowing visitors into their homes. One of the COVID-19 fatalities in the state got infected when he received visitors at home. Elderly persons and those with chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension and respiratory diseases are more vulnerable to complications of COVID-19 infection.
Everyone owes them a duty of care by not exposing them to visits and interactions that increase their risk of being infected.
“The Ministry of Health appeals to all residents to wash their hands regularly with soap and water, wear facemasks if they have compelling reasons to go out, observe physical distancing and avoid large gatherings. Our communities should also continue the public service of reporting suspicious cases in their areas. Stay home, stay safe, save lives”. (Channels TV)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.