Anambra COVID-19 patient moved to Protective Care Center — Obiano •Locks down state to curb spread

Posted by News Express | 11 April 2020 | 763 times

Gmail icon

•Governor Obiano

By PAMELA EBOH, Awka

The COVID-19 index case in Anambra State announced Friday night by the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) has been moved to one of the Protective Care Centers in the state, Governor Willie Obiano said earlier today in a broadcast.

Tale bearers had claimed that the man had disappeared but the Governor indicated otherwise.

He also announced the extension of the 14 days lockdown of the state by another two weeks.

Obiano in the special broadcast regretted that despite the proactive measures put in place to insulate the state from the pandemic, the first case was recorded on Friday.

He said that the index case is a Lagos returnee, adding that an aggressive contact tracing of everyone he came in contact with was ongoing.

While urging residents of the state not to panic, but stay indoors with their families and loved ones, Chief Obiano said that anyone who wishes to step outdoors for any reason at all must wear a face mask.

The Governor warned that violators of the directives would be arrested and prosecuted.

He said: “All boundaries with neighbouring states remain closed. There will be no vehicular or human traffic across all the boundaries of Anambra State. Only vehicles delivering essential services are permitted after a comprehensive check and authorisation by security operatives at the boundaries.

“I urge you not to panic over this. It did not take us by surprise. We are adequately prepared to handle the situation. We have trained enough manpower on how to handle COVID-19 cases and our Protective Care Centers are among the best in the country at the moment. On the strength of this, I urge you to stand strong in prayer and faith. We shall flatten the curve on this case to prevent further spread of the virus.

“Following the recording of the first case of Coronavirus in Anambra State, it has become extremely necessary to tighten the measures we had taken earlier on the pandemic.

“The restriction on movement is hereby extended by two weeks. This time, we are placing a comprehensive lockdown on Anambra State. We shall not tolerate any movement across the state by individuals and groups. Only people on essential services are permitted to move around in the delivery of those services to the people.

“Ndi Anambra are advised to stay indoors to avoid getting contaminated by this virus. The security agencies will enforce the restriction on movement this time and they have my authorisation to make arrests where necessary to keep our dear state safe.”

The Governor hailed traders in the 63 major markets in the state for heeding the directive on the closure of markets. He also commended the traditional rulers, church leaders and other community leaders for assisting by ensuring that people comply with the directives from the State Government.

  • Governor Obiano


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...