Posted by Pamela Eboh, Awka | 2 February 2020 | 1,120 times
Seven people on Sunday escaped death with varying degrees of injuries following a gas explosion in Onitsha, the commercial hub of Anambra State.
The fire, which began at 10:30 a.m., was said to have emanated from a faulty gas cylinder which exploded in a residential building, engulfing the entire building.
A statement by the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Haruna Mohammed, partly reads: “The fire allegedly emanated from a gas cooker recently procured which exploded in the course of using it for the first time.
“As a result, A total of seven (7) persons namely: Nonso Okafor ‘m’, Nkechi Chinyere Okafor ‘f’, Chisoba Okafor ‘m’, Ebuka Okafor ‘m’, Nwabuchi Chukwutor ‘m’, Chialuka Nwabuchi ‘m’ and Ifeoma Nwabuchi ‘f’ sustained varying degrees of injuries while properties worth millions of Naira destroyed.
“Following the distress call, Police patrol team led by DPO Inland Town Division rushed to the scene and the fire was put off by local volunteers.
“Meanwhile, the area was cordoned off to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the situation to loot and casualties taken to Boromeo/Minas hospitals Onitsha for medical attention. No loss of life and victims are responding to treatment.”
Meanwhile, the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Ogidi, Idemili North Local Government Area, Anambra State, was on Sunday gutted by fire.
Areas affected by the inferno include some parts of the office.
News Express learnt that the fire which started at about 12:30 p.m. from a nearby burning bush burning caught up with the building housing INEC office.
Confirming the incident, PPRO Mohammed said: “At about 12:30pm of today 2/2/2020 there was fire incident at INEC office Ogidi in Idemili North LGA of Anambra State.
“Police patrol team led by DPO Ogidi Division rushed to the scene and fire Service department was contacted. Scene was cordoned off and effort is ongoing to put off the fire and prevent it from escalating to other adjourning buildings.
“The fire allegedly emanated from bush burning. However, extent of damages done yet to be determined.”
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.