Anambra records first case of Lassa fever

Posted by Pamela Eboh, Awka | 31 January 2020 | 395 times

Gmail icon


Anabra State has recorded its first case of Lassa fever following a reported case in Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University Teaching Hospital (COOUTH), Amaku Awka, on Thursday.

Information has it that a student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (Unizik) Awka, whose name was not disclosed, was diagnosed of the disease.

It was gathered that the student had been on admission in the university’s clinic for some days before being referred to Amaku General Hospital where the disease was detected.

A statement by the Chief Medical Advisory Chairman, Dr. Ifeanyichukwu U. Ezebialu, on behalf of the Chief Medical Director of COOUTH, said the state emergency response team of the Ministry of Health has moved the patient to Abakaliki in neighbouring Ebonyi State and necessary decontamination done in the ward where the patient was nursed.

He hinted that to further strengthen the hospital’s preparedness towards preventing and combating the disease in the state, the hospital management is organising an awareness and sensitisation programme on Lassa fever with the state emergency response team of the Ministry of Health.

Ezebialu said the programme will be held during the normal monthly assembly slated for February 3.

The statement partly reads: “On behalf of the hospital management, I wish to inform the entire hospital community that COOUTH received a suspected case of passage fever from Unizik Medical Centre. Specimen was collected and sent to Imuah, Edo State, for confirmation. The result eventually came out yesterday and was positive.

“The management is most grateful and appreciates all the staff involved in the management as they displayed commendable concept of the universal precaution

“Going further, management wishes to implore all staff to go about their normal duties as there is no cause for alarm. However, all must always remember to be vigilant and apply universal precaution.”

There are fears however that a lot of contamination may have occurred among students and the siblings of the patient before the disease was eventually diagnosed.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...