Posted by News Express | 7 January 2020 | 562 times
A couple, Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Dauda, and 10 other passengers were reportedly adopted in Taraba State, along the Jalingo-Wukari Expressway on Sunday.
A close relative of one of the victims, Philip Magari, said that the incident took place in Bantaje ward of Wukari Local Government Area, at the Upper Benue junction, about 8p.m.
Magari said Mrs. Dauda was later released by her abductors.
“The gunmen, in their numbers, blocked the highway and stopped so many vehicles during which they abducted more than 10 people with two drivers of TSTC Hummer Buses, including Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Dauda, who were on their way to Gindin Dorowa from Gombe State.
“It was already 8p.m, and we were somehow lucky that they released Mrs. Dauda but collected her jacket and asked her to go because she cried a lot, but her husband is still in their custody.
“We were devastated as a result of the sad development as people expressed shock over the incident,” he said.
He further stated that the kidnappers had already established contact with the family, demanding N20 million as ransom, but the family pleaded and they had reduced it to N10 million, as at the time of going to press, on for them to reduce it to an affordable price. while negotiation was still
When contacted, the special adviser to the governor on security, Colonel Wunuke Agyo (rtd.), confirmed the report, saying he was at the scene of the incident where he met with the chief of Bantaje, Alhaji Abubakar Yahaya Rufai.
He also said that he was in touch with security agencies, particularly the DSS, to see that the victims regained their freedom unhurt.
Also speaking, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP David Misal, said the police were doing everything possible to ensure the release of the victims and arrest of the culprits.
This is the first recorded of such incident on the Jalingo-Wukari Expressway.
Gunmen kidnap another man in Ondo
Meanwhile, suspected gunmen on Monday abducted another man, Ajulo James Tolorunju, at his residence in Ibaka Quarters, Akungba-Akoko in Akoko South West Local Government Area of Ondo State.
According to a statement by one of his close associates, Tolu Babaleye, Tolorunju was abducted by the unknown gunmen around 10a.m.
Babaleye said: “Confirmed information reaching me from Akungba is that my friend and ally, Hon. Ajulo James Tolorunju, has just been kidnapped by unknown gunmen in front of his house at Ibaka Quarters, Akungba-Akoko, about 30 minutes ago.
“What is happening in Nigeria? Kidnappers have now left the bush to the town. It calls for sober reflection.
“I call on the DSS, army, police, and the civil defence corps to please assist to rescue him unhurt.”
Kidnappers are currently having a field day in Ondo State as they abduct their victims with ease and collect huge ransom from families of their victims without any arrest so far by security agencies.
On Friday, one Mrs. Fehintola Wewe, a 70-year-old woman, was abducted by gunmen in her residence at No 13, Broad Street, Sabomi, in Ese Odo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
As at the time of filing in this report, her abductors were yet to get in touch with her family.
Besides, the traditional ruler of Odigbo, the Orunja of Odigbo, Oba Rufus Akinrinmade, suffered same fate as his wife, two children, and driver were kidnapped along the Owo/ Oba/Ikare-Akoko Road in Akoko South West Local Government Area of the state a fortnight ago.
The abductors slammed a N100 million ransom on the victims but later agreed to collect N60 million for their release.
But the monarch was silent on the issue of ransom and it could not be ascertained if he parted with the agreed N60 million ransom before his wife, children, and driver were released.
In addition, the same week the monarch’s family was abducted, a man who was taking his son to Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko was also abducted by gunmen with three other persons on the same road.
His son and friend who accompanied him on the journey escaped being seized by the gunmen.
The Public Relations Officer of the State Police Command, Femi Joseph, a Chief Superintendent of Police, has confirmed the abduction of Ajulo Tolorunju.
He said that operatives of the command had commenced investigation and were after the abductors. (Daily Independent)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.