Posted by News Express | 3 December 2014 | 3,319 times
A mop-up operation has continued in Damaturu, the capital of Yobe, after the attack on the town by the dreaded Islamists, the Boko Haram, with security operatives recording huge progress by arresting some insurgents trapped in the town.
The Yobe State government had on Tuesday morning issued a statement imposing 24 hour curfew in the state capital.
“The imposition of the curfew will offer security operatives ample opportunity to mop up the town and free it from any further attack,” the state government said.
Residents said security operatives in conjunction with other volunteers had been walking round the town to arrest some of the sect members an effort witnesses said had been fruitful.
“Isolated and pocket of them have been arrested and handed over to the security forces,” the eyewitnesses said.
Meanwhile, as Damaturu town continues to be under 24 hour curfew, all streets remained deserted except movement of security forces and the volunteer youths hunting the leftover sect members.
Hospital sources told Channels Television that 13 corpses of Mobile policemen were brought to the hospital morgue while 40 bodies of the insurgents and two of the civilians were also brought to the same specialist hospital.
Channels Television was also informed that over 30 cars and official vehicles were burnt at the Mopol 41 base located along Biu road of Damaturu.
Structures at the base, according to the source, were equally torched by the sect members in the attack.
The Mobile base was the first to be attacked by the insurgents as it was located along the area the insurgents had access to the town.
•Adapted from a Channels TV report. Photo shows nabbed Boko Haram suspects undergoing interrogation.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.