Fidelity bank card banner Emerald Energy Institute Camano banner

Ekiti Government throws light on circumstances surrounding attack on First Lady’s convoy in Oye

By News Express on 12/09/2019

Gmail icon

Views: 326

•Ekiti First Lady, Erelu Bisi Fayemi
•Ekiti First Lady, Erelu Bisi Fayemi

The Government of Ekiti State, on Wednesday, threw light on the circumstances surrounding the attack on the convoy of the First Lady of the State, Erelu Bisi Fayemi, during a protest by students of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, on Tuesday.

“Whilst acknowledging that the protest might have started as a peaceful one, there was an escalation to violence, possibly due to infiltration by hoodlums,” the state Commissioner for Information, Tourism, and Values Orientation, Aare Muyiwa Olumilua, said in a statement.

According to him, “Erelu Fayemi was in Oye Local Government in continuation of her community engagement and advocacy tour of the state. She had commenced the Tuesday’s tour from Moba Local Government and had visited Ilejemeje Local Government before arriving in Oye-Ekiti for the last leg of the tour.

“The students had earlier in the day taken over major streets in the town, protesting against the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC), over power outage in the area. Government was not petitioned nor alerted of this plight prior to the protest.

“The convoy of the Wife of the Governor was attacked with several vehicles vandalised, leaving many people, including journalists, with varying degrees of injuries.

“Those injured during the attack have been given first aid treatment, while some are still receiving treatment in the hospital.”

Continuing, the statement said: “While not denying the students the right to express their grievances on any issue, it is expected that such be done without resulting to violence.

“Ekiti State Government has been informed that there might have been casualties recorded during the incident. We await more details of this sad development from the school authorities. Nothing is worth the loss of any life.

“As a responsible government, it is on record that the State Government has been engaging the electricity company (BEDC) on how to improve the power situation in parts of the State, long before this unfortunate incident, and promise to continue to engage them on the improvement of their service delivery to Ekiti State.

“The general public is hereby advised to go about their normal activities as the situation is now under control.”

 

Source News Express

Posted 12/09/2019 05:20:15 AM

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Body of abducted APC chieftain found in Rivers...

BREAKING: Senate declares Customs boss unfit to hold...

SERAP demands immediate lifting of siege to offices...

Shiites reject FG’s investigative panel, demand fresh one...

Kwara to sanction doctors practising at home

IGP defends police performance during Rivers re-run election...

Military, LASG give truck drivers 48 hours to...

PDP electoral committee nullifies primary election in Ondo...

Niger Delta youths vow to resist takeover of...

Bill Gates to deliver the 14th Nelson Mandela...

Sokoto, investors plan modern flour mill; bakers reduce...

Ban on civil servants from traditional titles unconstitutional...

 

Latest News Why Ndigbo may embrace IPOB in 2023 — Ex-Governor Ezeife Minimum wage: Declare your stand now, NLC tells FG Wadume: Presidency drags feet on trial of millionaire kidnap kingpin $6.9bn Judgement Debt: Nigerian delegation departs for UK MASSOB raises alarm over alleged plot to kick Osinbajo out of Aso Rock 500 patients for Kwara surgical interventions Ngige too old for continued mischief — Obi Shock as ladies identify ‘one chance robber’ in public 4 abducted ASUP leaders regain freedom Reason Akeredolu may not return for second term as Ondo Governor Can Mr. President stay home? Firms should save through digital procurement to survive — Konga R & D

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (542,858 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (444,000 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (390,510 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (327,320 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (295,505 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (254,100 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (250,448 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (239,577 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (232,113 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (218,128 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (196,370 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (193,930 views)

 

CBN milk production

CBN banner advert

UBA Wise Savers Promo

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (102) Business & Economy (4,456) Business Verdict (81) Columnists (1,113) Complaints & Requests (96) Enterprise & Opportunities (216) Entertainment (667) Features (815) Global Business Monitor (446) ICT Monitor (63) International (3,974) Interview (204) Live Commentary (30) Love Matters (171) Maggie's Blog (418) News (51,648) Opinion (1,367) Pidgin (17) Politics (11,473) Religion (1,104) Sports (2,174) Stock Watch (39) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera