Posted by News Express | 8 September 2019 | 582 times
Nigeria as a country has a serious if not despicable record in the eyes of the world.
Patiently follow me.
1. The government performed Operation Python dance in Igboland! Casualties from this dance is unacknowledged beyond we will investigate.
2. The herdsmen went on rampage and the government only asked the victims to accommodate their brothers! No acknowledgement of the dead and loss of property.
3. The casualty figures from the North East are still not acknowledged beyond the words . . . We will investigate.
4. The brutal suppression of the Shia Moslem demonstration and their acknowledgement as a terrorist group.
6. The surreptitious declaration of the IPOB as a terrorist group.
7. The arrogant declaration of the PMB government that it will not obey all court orders.
8. The arrogant declaration that the rule of law must bow to national interest.
9. The violent suppression of civil rights demonstration
10. The emasculation of the judiciary and the legislature.
The 10 points above will always be a barrier to the government of Nigeria standing up to protest whenever our citizens are dealt unfairly with abroad. The perception of the country is in the negative.
Remember that perception is 90% of impression. Can the President of Nigeria warn the government of South Africa to stop the killings when in our own country, we do worse things? Human rights cannot be ignored in any country by the government. The Cardinal Pillars of Democracy must be observed in Nigeria before other countries will take us serious. Right now, the UN agency is investigating the rights violations in Nigeria. How are we responding?
The killings are on-going in SA. We are sending an envoy who will arrive in SA on Thursday! How long will the flight last? The announcement was made on Tuesday. So Wednesday? No action!
My point is that countries treat us the way the home government treats us.
GEJ was faced with this type of situation! How did the clueless one respond? With alacrity!!!
In any case, let the government of Nigeria sit up before other countries follow suit. Ghana dealt with us. Libya did. Others are waiting for the anti-Nigeria treatment!!!
•Goddy Uwazurike, eminent lawyer and former President of Aka Ikenga think tank, writes from Lagos.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.