Kaduna Electricity Company begs costumers to pay N36 billion outstanding bills

Posted by Garba Ahmad, Kaduna | 11 November 2014 | 2,702 times

Gmail icon


The Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (KEDC) yesterday begged customers in the four states of its operation to pay outstanding bills so as to ensure effective service. The states are Kaduna, Kaduna, Zamfara, Sokoto and Kebbi.

Total debt status of the company as at September 2014 is put at N36,203,487,414.90.

The managing director, Alhaji Idris Danlami Mohammed, disclosed while addressing a press conference in Kaduna.

According to him, “I feel happy that power is available and our customers are enjoying power service 24 hours a day. But my headache now is that power that they have been enjoying means that the bills they have to pay will now almost multiply. But there is no corresponding increase in my revenue for giving my customers power supply 24 hours and this is my major challenge.

“The greatest challenge is for customers to pay off their bills. Power supply has been addressed. Kaduna is now a modern city; you now have power supply for 20 hours. If they don’t pay I’m afraid we won’t be able to sustain what we have been able to achieve. It gives us worry. We need to reciprocate each other. We have serious problem with customers not paying their bills.

“Last company collection of revenue in March is 1.25 billion naira. The revenue collection is not uptil what we employed in March. Disconnection of power is a last resort. We don’t like taking it because we believe everybody is responsible. Disconnection creates apathy between you and the customer.”

Speaking on the success of the company, Mohammed said: “For projects in Kaduna metropolis it has attained 90% while we are hoping to achieve the remaining 10% before the end of next year which includes areas like Jaji, Ungwan Dosa, Saminaka and Birnin Gwari and will be commissioned before the end of the year.”

•Photo shows KEDC MD, Idris Mohammed.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...