Posted by News Express | 12 August 2019 | 1,105 times
South Africa’s Minister for International Relations and Cooperation, Dr. Naledi Pandor, has described as false, the reports of targeted killings of Nigerians in their country.
Dr. Pandor who was accompanied by the Minister of Police Bheki Cele, at a press conference on Sunday, said this in response to a planned protest by the National Association of Nigerian Students following the recent killing of Nigerians in South Africa.President of the association, Daniel Akpan had last week, issued a week-long ultimatum to South African businesses to leave Nigeria.
He also called on all Nigerians living in South Africa to return home to prevent further attacks.
But Dr Pandor has described the development as unfortunate, adding that they don’t reflect the strong relations that exist between the people and the governments of South Africa and Nigeria.
‘No Targeting of Africans’
She, however, insisted that everything is being done to protect and improve the long-standing relationship both countries have.
“The protests are said to be in response to alleged killing of Nigerians by South Africans, as you are aware, these allegations are devoid of truth, they are reckless and unwarranted.
“We find these statements most unfortunate and they don’t reflect the strong relations that exist between the people and the government of South Africa and Nigeria.
“Firstly, there is no targeting of any group of Africans in South Africa, secondly, our law enforcement agencies are making every effort to fight crime and arrest criminals.”
While investigations are ongoing, at least eight police officers have been arrested in connection with the attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
The Chairman, National Diaspora Commission, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this last week during a meeting with officials of the National Association of Nigerian Students in Abuja. (Channels TV)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.