Posted by News Express | 27 October 2014 | 2,973 times
Block moulders nationwide have lauded the leading role being played by Dangote Cement Plc in enlightening stakeholders in the building and construction industry on the standardisation of cement and allied products being undertaken by the Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON).
Speaking weekend after a tour of Dangote Cement’s Obajana Plant in Kogi State at by the members of the National Association of Block Moulders of Nigeria (NABMON) from the northern part of the country, President of the association, Alhaji Rasheed Adebowale, said what Dangote Cement has been doing would go a long way into creating the desired awareness on how producing better quality blocks could be the main preoccupation of his members.
NABMON, according to Adebowale, would forever remain grateful for the gesture. He noted that it takes a company of Dangote Cement’s pedigree to take all block moulders in the country through the process of cement-making with a view to giving them better understanding of how quality blocks could be produced even to the profit advantage of the moulders using the right quality cement.
Alhaji Adebowale lamented the spate of building collapse in the country. He regretted that oftentimes blocks being produced by his members are the first item of building blamed for such building collapse. He said that the enlightenment by Dangote Cement would go a long way into making his members better block moulders.
The tour and the presentations, Adebowale stated, had provided the desired education needed by his members to contribute their quota in the fight against substandard building materials.
He said in line with NABMON’s motto of “Quality is our goal”, quality and zero tolerance for using poor and substandard materials to mould blocks remains topmost in the association’s agenda. He also notified his members of the impending clampdown on those who do not comply with the SON standard specification.
The NABMON boss called on government to create awareness for that would positively make the general public patronise standard and quality products instead of substandard and inferior ones. He argued that the enlightenment by the Dangote Cement was enough to help his members to embrace the new standardisation policy
Said Adebowale: “We are grateful to Dangote Cement. We have better understanding of how blocks are produced and what it takes to produce quality blocks and the presentation afterwards has also revealed to us why it is not in our own interest to produce substandard blocks that would later give way and cause loss of lives and property.”
Addressing the block moulders after the tour, Dangote Sales Director for the North-West, Obasola Alo, told them that Dangote Cement was trying to create a platform for all stakeholders to be happy doing the business they are doing.
He said the company was deeply touched by the prevalence of substandard building materials which has led to the building collapse embarrassment nationwide and has therefore decided to undertake an enlightenment campaign for stakeholders on how the situation could be redressed.
“We need you as much as you need us, we need to collaborate. Dangote Cement Company of international status and highest producer of the product in Africa cannot afford to fold its hand when buildings are collapsing everywhere and lives are being lost. This is one of the ways we think we can help to join hands to address the situation,” Alo stated.
In his comment, Dangote Cement’s Director of Sales and Marketing, Johnson Olaniyi, expressed the desire of the company to ensure that the standardisation being carried out by SON is complied with by all stakeholders so as to bring sanity into the industry.
Said he: “It is very disheartening to hear that only five percent of blocks moulded in Nigeria is of acceptable quality. Why do we ask why building collapse? SON said so; if only 5 per cent blocks are of standard, what happened to the remaining 95 per cent? This is why Dangote Cement is doing all the campaign to bring awareness to how we can produce quality blocks.
“By this we are also helping you grow, as you will now be a better block moulders using the right materials in the right proportion and enjoying better patronage.”
The block moulders were later given certificate of participation.
•Photo shows Dangote Cement Chairman, Aliko Dangote.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.