Posted by News Express | 18 October 2014 | 3,685 times
Boko Haram insurgents have reportedly attacked two communities in Nigeria's northeastern Borno State, one day after Nigerian authorities declared a cease-fire with the militant group, a security source said.
About 20 Boko Haram fighters in two Hilux vehicles stormed Maikadiri in Abadam Local Government, in the northern part of Borno, on Friday evening “shooting into residents’ homes,” the source told Anadolu Agency.
Local resident Bilal Mohammed confirmed the attack, but said he could not connect with his relations in Abadam since Friday evening.
He said the insurgents also killed the father of the former speaker of Borno State parliament, Goni Ali Modu.
“My parents are there and my brother called from Monguno to inform me early this morning but we couldn’t get across to our aged parents,” he told AA.
Boko Haram militants also rode to a village near Shaffa in Hawul Local Government, south of Borno, early Saturday.
Eight people were killed as the militant shot indiscriminately in the village, resident Markus Adamu said.
“My brother called from the bush where he was hiding this morning and said there was pandemonium in Shaffa as Boko Haram have invaded the village near the town, shooting at everybody at sight,” he said.
“He fled from the motor park into the bush. He is still in the bush as I am talking to you now,” Adamu said.
Shaffa, about 230 kilometers from Maiduguri, came under attack late September when at least 18 people, including a pastor, were massacred by the insurgents. Many houses were also set ablaze.
Nigeria announced earlier Friday it has sealed a cease-fire with Boko Haram militants – the details of which included freeing the over 200 schoolchildren abducted over six months ago in exchange for selected operatives of the sect.
The cease-fire, which took effect on Friday, was negotiated on behalf of Nigeria by Chadian President Idris Derby and Amodu Danladi on behalf of Boko Haram.
Boko Haram has waged a five-year violent insurgency largely in the northeastern region where more than 13,000 people, mostly civilians, have been massacred while the economy of the area has been brought to its knees.
The group has been outlawed in Nigeria, Turkey and United States.
Last month, the Nigerian military announced the killing of a man it said had been mimicking the ‘long dead’ Abubakar Shekau, the erratic spiritual leader of the sect.
In April, the group grabbed international headlines after it abducted over 200 schoolgirls from their dormitory in northeastern Borno state. Only 57 of the girls had managed to escape their abductors.
•Source: Anadolu Agency (AA).
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.