Fidelity bank card banner Camano banner
BREAKING: 35 foreigners, 121 others confirmed dead as terrorists storm Easter church services

By News Express on 21/04/2019

Views: 3,413

•The chaotic scene inside one of the Sri Lanka churches after the Easter bombing. Photo: AFP.
•The chaotic scene inside one of the Sri Lanka churches after the Easter bombing. Photo: AFP.

Thirty-five foreigners and at least 121 natives have been confirmed dead after dare-devil terrorists attacked Easter church services in Sri Lanka.

In an update, officials the affected foreigners, including Americans, Britons and Dutch, died when a string of coordinated bombings hit high-end hotels and churches in and around the Sri Lankan capital of Colombo on Sunday during Easter services.

Police have revised the death toll upwards, from 137 to 156.

The coordinated blasts took place at 8:45 a.m. local time.

Foreigners were among the dead in Colombo, Sri Lanka Health Services director general Anil Jasinghe said

At least six explosions have been reported. Three churches in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa were targeted during Easter services.

At least 400 people were injured and were undergoing treatment, an employee at the National Hospital of Sri Lanka said by phone.

Sri Lanka’s police chief made a nationwide alert 10 days before Sunday’s bomb attacks in the country that suicide bombers planned to hit “prominent churches”, according to the warning seen by AFP.

Police chief Pujuth Jayasundara sent an intelligence warning to top officers on April 11 setting out the threat.

“A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama’ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo,” said the alert.

The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that came to notice last year when it was linked to the vandalization of Buddhist statues.

Sri Lanka’s Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe condemned the string of blasts that killed at least 137 people on Sunday as “cowardly” and said the government was working to “contain the situation.”

“I strongly condemn the cowardly attacks on our people today,” he said in a tweet from his verified account.

“I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation.”

“Emergency meeting called in a few minutes. Rescue operations underway,” Sri Lanka’s Minister of Economic Reforms and Public Distribution, Harsha de Silva, said in a tweet on his verified account.

He said he had been to two of the attacked hotels and was at the scene at St Anthony’s Shrine and described “horrible scenes.”

•Based on AFP and NAN reports.

Source News Express

Posted 21/04/2019 10:41:35 AM

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Militias attack UN base, 2 killed

15bn Corruption charges: Court acquits Bafarawa, others

House of Reps set to convene stakeholders summit...

2019: Party eyes convicted Rev King as presidential...

International Criminal Court to try arrested Boko Haram...

VP, SGF yet to comply with presidential directive...

China willing to invest $3bn in Nigerian oil...

1,000 public servants for retirement in Anambra, Enugu...

Celebrities, UNILAG female students walk against rape

Navy pledges support for Police against maritime crimes...

Recall: INEC dumps documents in Dino Melaye’s office...

Aisha Buhari calls for more support for underprivileged...

 

Latest News Army officer, others nabbed for kidnap Court restrains INEC from issuing Certificate Of Return to Okorocha Herdsmen storm palace, threaten to kill monarch Govs, FG set for collision over LG allocation • Governors insist on status quo Air Force strikes dead scores of fleeing terrorists in Borno Bandits attack: Katsina Emirate suspends Sallah Durbar Suspect who killed actor Chris Attoh’s Wife, Bettie Jennifer revealed Academic fraud: PG student drags Baze University to NUC EFCC investigates MTN over listing on Nigerian Stock Exchange Atiku wouldn’t dare threaten nor bully Lai Mohammed – Lauretta Onochie Buhari, Osinbajo get May 28 deadline to submit Assets Declaration Form I accept S’Court judgment but Fayemi, APC stole my mandate, Olusola-Eleka insists

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (482,869 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (420,581 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (358,976 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (307,341 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (271,218 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (241,726 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (229,841 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (211,636 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (204,128 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (200,985 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (181,697 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (181,677 views)

 

UBA Wise Savers Promo

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (91) Business & Economy (4,280) Business Verdict (71) Columnists (1,036) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (208) Entertainment (616) Features (755) Global Business Monitor (366) ICT Monitor (44) International (3,482) Interview (180) Live Commentary (29) Love Matters (161) Maggie's Blog (276) News (46,552) Opinion (1,244) Pidgin (17) Politics (10,832) Religion (1,010) Sports (2,013) Stock Watch (39) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera