Fidelity bank card banner Camano banner
Boko Haram: I slept in tents to inspire my people to return — Emir

By Hamza Suleiman on 23/03/2019

Views: 390

•Boko Haram insurgents
•Boko Haram insurgents

The Emir of Akira-Uba in Borno, Alhaji Abdullahi Ibn-Muhammed, said he slept in a tent when he returned home after the liberation of his kingdom from the control of Boko Haram insurgents.

Recounting his ordeal, Mohammed, said he was voluntarily returned home and slept for several weeks in a tent to build confidence and encourage his subjects to also return home.

Mohammed said this on Saturday when Brig.-Gen. Bulama Biu, the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division and Commander Sector 1, Operation Lafiya Dole, paid him a courtesy visit at his palace in Uba.

Ibn-Muhammed said that when the insurgents sacked the town in 2014, his people ran for their lives and became Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in various places.

“When the town was reclaimed by the military, I took courage to return back to my palace along with the members of my traditional institution.

“We returned and saw that most of the structures were razed. They burnt my palace; some of the structures that remain standing are the brick fireplaces of homes.

“Despite all these challenges, we came back and stayed. Some of us were taking shelter in makeshift tents. I slept in my burnt palace. And sometimes when it rained, we have to put ourselves together in one place and cover ourselves, “he said.

The monarch commended the efforts and sacrifices of the military in safeguarding the peace, security and territorial integrity of the country.

“It is because of the commitment you have given towards ending the lingering crisis of Boko Haram that we are enjoying relative peace in our community.

We in Askira will always thank you for making it possible for us to come back home.

“It is a well-known fact that fighting insurgency is a difficult task. It is very difficult because you don’t always know where the next attack will come from but the army has done tremendously well and lived to the expectation.

“War cannot be completely won within the short period of time. It requires continuous efforts of mobilisation, fighting, sensitisation, enlightenment and support from all stakeholders.

“The government needed to continue educating them (insurgents) to drop their arms, embrace peace as well as meaningful reintegration.

Those taking arms should understand that they cannot fight the government.

The emir lamented that the terrorists had inflicted unprecedented damage to people’s lives and property under the guise of Islam, noting that going by their actions, they have nothing to do with the religion they claimed to be fighting for.

“The group has nothing to do with Islam because most of their victims are Muslims.

The Muslims are the worst affected population of this war. They kill both Muslims and Christians.

“I, therefore, want to assure you that we will continue to do our best to support you to succeed. To me, I have that vision of what the army required,” he said.

Ibn-Muhammed further appealed to the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, to establish and deploy a permanent battalion in Askira-Uba to enhance more security for his people.

Brig.-Gen. Bulama Biu, Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, said he was at the palace to pay homage to the monarch as well as thank him for all the support and cooperation he had been providing to the troops of 28 Task Force Brigade.

Biu said he was on operational trip as part of the effort to boost the morale of the fighting troops and to interact with them on some of their concerns.

“We are in Konduga, Kawuri, Bama, Gwoza, Pulka, Madagali, Michika where we sympathized with the people on the March 14 incident and now we are here.

“We will be going to Chibok, the Headquarters of the brigade and Damboa all in an effort to support our fighting troops,” he said.

The GOC said that the recent attacks, which were mostly repelled, amounted to a kick of the dying horse, noting that the Nigerian Army was committed to ensuring lasting peace and sanity in the entire northeast.

“I will forward the request you made to the Chief of Army Staff for his consideration,” he said. (NAN)

Source News Express

Posted 23/03/2019 7:10:37 PM

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Swiss firm is to commence diamond mining in...

Only 5 of 23 Benue LGAs free from...

Worries about Nigeria, other factors push oil price...

40 Boko Haram terrorists to surrender

Nigeria pledges support to peace processes in Africa,...

Importation, great enemy of Nigeria —Ikpeazu

Germany to help develop water transportation in Lagos...

Monetary Policy Committee retains lending rate, other key...

British banks extend early credit to cushion firms...

APC for life: Ex-VP Atiku speaks on why...

Gunmen kill 8 at relaxation spot in Plateau...

Idris kicks against Senate’s proposal to confirm appointments...

 

Latest News Crisis hits Nigeria Centre for Disease Control office as DG refuses to leave after expiration of tenure War against corruption: EFCC challenges judiciary Certificate case dismissal: It’s time to build Kwara for all — AbdulRazaq Taxi driver kidnaps 10 children in Abuja 2023 Presidency: Buhari, Tinubu deceiving each other – Elder statesman Adebanjo Terrorists kill 7 policemen I arranged my kidnap to help my husband raise money – suspect Baby found alive inside plastic bag NDLEA arrests 362 suspected drug traffickers in Edo Troops neutralise three terrorists in Borno, recover weapons LASTMA officials, truck drivers clash during towing operation Lawmaker arrested after threatening foreign traders

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (498,848 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (427,448 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (367,783 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (313,539 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (278,319 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (245,051 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (235,610 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (217,642 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (215,469 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (205,856 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (185,759 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (184,820 views)

 

NNPC 2019 National Science Quiz Competition

CBN banner advert

UBA Wise Savers Promo

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (94) Business & Economy (4,328) Business Verdict (75) Columnists (1,056) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (209) Entertainment (627) Features (767) Global Business Monitor (384) ICT Monitor (53) International (3,628) Interview (184) Live Commentary (30) Love Matters (162) Maggie's Blog (314) News (47,828) Opinion (1,268) Pidgin (17) Politics (11,072) Religion (1,033) Sports (2,053) Stock Watch (39) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera