Fidelity bank card banner Camano banner

Why I was attacked by terrorists: Governor Shettima

By Duku Joel on 15/02/2019

Views: 668

•Governor Shettima
•Governor Shettima

 Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima yesterday explained why Boko Haram insurgents swooped on his convoy on Tuesday, killing three civilians and a soldier.

The governor said the attack was a mere propaganda strategy by the insurgents to attract global media attention and instill fear in citizens and troops.

Shettima, who reacted through his Special Adviser on Media & Strategy, Isa Gusau, sympathised with those who lost their loved ones in the attack.

The governor’s convoy was ambushed and attacked by the terrorists on his way to a political campaign rally in the northern part of the state.

Gusau confirmed the death of three people in the incident.

A splinter group of Boko Haram loyal to the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Reuters reported that Islamic State on Wednesday claimed responsibility for an attack on the convoy of the governor of northeastern Borno State, according to the group’s Amaqnews agency.

“The group said at least 42 people were killed in Tuesday’s attack. Sources told Reuters the death toll was between three and 10 people, though an unknown number of others were beheaded,” the report said.

According to Gusau, the governor has launched a probe into the circumstances that led to the incident, stressing that the attack will not dampen his commitment and confidence of troops.

A statement by Shettima’s spokesman reads:

“Governor Kashim Shettima mourns, with the deepest thoughts and heartfelt condolences, the demise of some fellow citizens, brothers, associates and loyal supporters following an unfortunate ambush of some vehicles in his convoy by suspected insurgents on Tuesday evening on Gamboru Road, headquarters of Ngala Local Government Area.

“While the governor is expecting full security briefing to get accurate information on the incident, preliminary report on Wednesday, confirmed the killing of three persons during the attack, which principally aimed to attract local and global media attention in order to sustain propaganda strategy and to instill fear in citizens and gallant troops.

“Governor Shettima, who returned at night yesterday, will today (Thursday) meet families of those affected by the attack. The governor will also meet some security heads to review the incident and, more importantly, to continue his determined collaboration with all security agencies and volunteers in remaining committed to the ongoing fight against Boko Haram.

“The unfortunate incident will not make the governor to doubt  the capacity of the gallant and patriotic personnel of the Nigerian armed forces who have dedicated their lives fighting for peace and the freedom of Borno people.

“The governor has absolute confidence in the armed forces and given his access to raw updates, he is aware of the successes being recorded by the armed forces despite Tuesday’s and previous attacks by the insurgents.

“For one success recorded by the insurgents, the armed forces record dozens against them. The Governor remains optimistic and urges citizens to be calm, prayerful and supportive of the Nigerian armed forces and volunteers through means that include (as they have been doing) the sharing of useful information.

“Tuesday’s incident happened while the Governor was on his way to Gamboru in continuation of campaigns for the presidential and national assembly elections coming up on Saturday.

“The governor had left Maiduguri on Tuesday morning and stopped for campaigns in Mafa and Dikwa local government areas before heading to Gamboru where he passed the night and returned to Maiduguri on Wednesday. He had on Monday travelled to Damasak, headquarters of Mobbar Local Government Area in northern Borno.

“Before then, he had previously held campaigns in most parts of northern Borno, including Monguno where he spent the night. He had also been to all the nine local government areas of southern Borno, including Chibok, Gwoza, Askira-Uba and Biu, where he spent days.

“The governor extends his deepest gratitude to friends, associates and other well-meaning Nigerians that have shown concern over the incident,” the statement said.

Sourced from The Nation report

 

 

Source News Express

Posted 15/02/2019 12:44:44 PM

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Defection: Senator Adamu a merchant of lies for...

THE MANY SINS OF GOVERNOR AKPABIO, ACCORDING TO...

Xenophobic Attacks: South Africa angry over recall of...

Blocking of executive bills: The only language PDP...

2019: It’s wrong for any church to endorse...

Resident Doctors suspend strike following Reps’ intervention

National Assembly to interrupt recess for election budget...

NGO calls for probe of Nigeria oil sales...

5 dead, 5 rescued as boat capsizes in...

Hackers leak Kenyan foreign ministry confidential data

Why we introduced new admission policy —JAMB Registrar...

Rev. Mbaka gets death threats over anti-Jonathan sermon...

 

Latest News Terrorists ambush, kill 5 soldiers Meet Buhari’s Minister who rose from errand boy to the top Generator fumes kill couple Joint security panel worried over Wadume’s video I know nothing of Interior Ministry — Aregbesola PDP clears 34 aspirants for Kogi, Bayelsa Gov Primaries Travellers stranded as Nigeria suddenly shuts down Seme Border UNILAG graduate beats 15 contestants to get $1.5m LNI scholarship in AUB Dickson seeks international community’s support for credible Bayelsa governorship poll We must increase revenue or Nigeria slips into fiscal crisis — Finance Minister Workers jubilate as Amaechi returns to Transportation Ministry My agenda for stopping attacks on Nigerians in South Africa — Onyeama

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (529,348 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (438,731 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (383,608 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (322,539 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (290,407 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (251,302 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (246,058 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (233,078 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (228,038 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (214,273 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (193,127 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (191,008 views)

 

CBN milk production

CBN banner advert

UBA Wise Savers Promo

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (98) Business & Economy (4,400) Business Verdict (79) Columnists (1,095) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (215) Entertainment (648) Features (795) Global Business Monitor (420) ICT Monitor (58) International (3,851) Interview (198) Live Commentary (30) Love Matters (166) Maggie's Blog (383) News (50,260) Opinion (1,327) Pidgin (17) Politics (11,331) Religion (1,085) Sports (2,133) Stock Watch (39) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera