Fidelity bank banner Newsexpress banner Okowa 2019 gubernatorial campaign Camano banner
27 soldiers arrested in Venezuela after rising against President

By News Express on 22/01/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 389

• Venezuela’s President Maduro
• Venezuela’s President Maduro

A group of 27 soldiers rose up against Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro at a command post in Caracas on Monday, but were quickly arrested after posting an appeal for public support in a video, the government said.

“We are the professional troop of the National Guard against the regime, which we completely repudiate. I need your help, take to the streets,” a man who identified himself as the group’s sergeant said in a video circulated on social media.

Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino issued a statement shortly afterward saying the soldiers had been arrested.

Before the attack on a National Guard command center in northern Caracas where they were captured, they had assaulted two other security posts, taking four prisoners and making off with “weapons of war,” the statement said.

“During the arrest, stolen weapons were recovered and (the mutineers) are providing useful information to intelligence services and the military justice system,” added Padrino, who said the rebels would “face the full force of the law.”

Maduro’s right-hand man and head of the Constituent Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, said 25 soldiers were arrested at the site, and two more were detained elsewhere.

The Supreme Court, which is dominated by regime loyalists, later took aim at the opposition-controlled National Assembly, declaring its leadership illegitimate and declaring its decisions invalid.

The assembly last week had declared Maduro a “usurper,” and offered members of the military and the government amnesty if they broke with Maduro.

The unfolded in the early hours of Monday morning and culminating at the National Guard’s Cotiza command, which was later surrounded by police and troops.

“They were neutralized, surrendered and captured in record time,” said Cabello on Twitter.

“They are already confessing details and the first thing they said is that they were offered villas and castles but were left alone, they were tricked. We will win,” he added, without specifying who allegedly made the offer.

The armed forces fired tear gas to disperse protesters who gathered outside the command post, banging pots and blocking roads with burning garbage in support of the uprising.

“If they unite with our country, we’re with them, we’re going to stay in the streets. Freedom!” shouted one woman.

“We want Maduro to go, we’re fed up,” added a man. (AFP)

Source News Express

Posted 22/01/2019 10:07:19 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
We’re steadily pushing back Boko Haram —Jonathan

Enugu Police command sets up task force to...

Uber Nigeria urges confirmation of its drivers before...

1.2m Nigerians to get soft loans: FG

Tinubu reveals APC’s victory secret at Amaechi book...

Breakaway Catholic group accuses Pope of spreading errors...

Taraba trains marshals to enforce ban on open...

Wike calls for increased investments in SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY...

2019: Lagos APC, ICG UK chapters to work...

Ogoni communities pledge support for UNEP Report implementation...

INEC urges Anambra people to get more involved...

Babangida’s ex-Chief Press Secretary opens up, says ‘Yes,...

 

Latest News BREAKING NEWS: INEC lifts ban on electoral campaign Presidential Committee dismisses whistle-blower 2019 Polls: Intersociety alleges fresh trap, warns Nigerians Buhari spits fire, warns election riggers Six soldiers die as Army kills 37 bandits, rescues 80 victims IPMAN reduces fuel price over shift in elections INEC meets over ban on campaign Saraki did not make me minister — Lai Mohammed Opposition heads to court to challenge INEC’s order halting political campaigns Herdsman remanded for killing farmer NDLEA laments killing of officers, says may deter fight against narcotics FAAC disburses N270.17bn to FG in January

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (450,761 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (405,059 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (339,824 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (291,936 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (256,606 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (233,819 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (218,809 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (200,382 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (187,948 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (174,615 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (172,646 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (167,023 views)

 

NLNG call for entries

CBN banner

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (80) Business & Economy (4,025) Business Verdict (58) Columnists (996) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (208) Entertainment (590) Features (715) Global Business Monitor (322) ICT Monitor (7) International (3,100) Interview (173) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (152) Maggie's Blog (150) News (43,308) Opinion (1,197) Pidgin (17) Politics (9,483) Religion (951) Sports (1,895) Stock Watch (36) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera