Posted by News Express | 21 December 2012 | 3,380 times
Money will not be a problem for the Super Eagles of Nigeria as they intensify preparations for the next Africa Cup of Nations holding in South Africa from January 19 to February 10.
This indication was given yesterday by Sports Minister, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, who assured that the funds for the team’s preparations and participation in the championship was about to be released.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted Abdullahi as telling it during an interview in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, that there was the need to avoid the fire-brigade approach that had characterised Nigeria’s participation in past championships.
The minister disclosed that the National Sports Commission (NSC) had gotten the approval for the release of the money and would not want to delay in releasing it to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
“We have gotten the approval; I just spoke with the Director of Finance for confirmation,” Abdullahi said. “The NFA will get the money this week, to enable them get things in proper shape for the Super Eagles’ preparation and participation in the tournament. I had a meeting with the NFF leadership and they raised the issue with me,” he added.
The minister also said that the Commission had the mandate to support the football house in pursuit of its goals provided it was in the national interest.
It would be recalled that President Goodluck Jonathan had earlier given an express approval to the N1.4 billion budget proposed by the NFF for the Super Eagles’ participation in the championship otherwise known as ‘African World Cup’.
The Eagles have been in camp since last Sunday, December 16, to perfect their strategies under the tutelage of Coach Stephen Keshi and his assistants.
Nigeria has won the championship twice – in 1980 and 1994.
•Photo: Sports Minister Bolaji Abdullahi
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.