Burnt Anambra mortuary: Relatives lament inability to identify charred remains of loved ones

Posted by Pamela Eboh, Awka | 3 January 2019 | 1,610 times

Gmail icon

•The burnt mortuary

  The Enugwu Ukwu General Hospital morgue in Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State, which was gutted by fire in the evening of December 29, 2018, has become a mecca of sorts as people throng the place to have a first-hand view of the morgue even as relatives of the over 50 burnt corpses cry out in agony.

Information gathered by the News Express has it that the fire was allegedly caused by a burning bush behind the morgue but so far, it is yet to be ascertained who ignited the fire.

As at yesterday, Wednesday, January 2, 2019, people who had their deceased relatives deposited in the morgue for burial were still trooping to the hospital to identify their own but identification was made difficult because the corpses were burnt beyond recognition.

Although some of the charred corpses have allegedly been transferred to the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu Teaching Hospital, Awka, it was a touching sight to behold as some of the bereaved who came to the burnt morgue to identify their loved ones, cried uncontrollably at their inability to recognise the remains of their relatives.

However, security has been increased at the scene to prevent unauthorised persons from gaining access to the place.

According to source who spoke with News Express on the condition of anonymity, the corpses transferred to the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital in Awka were those that were identified by relatives.

A bereaved relative, Mr Chima Eze, on his part told a pathetic story of how he was denied access to see the remains of his brother on the day the mysterious fire engulfed the morgue.

According to him, their late brother was deposited at the mortuary two weeks before the fire incident.

According to him, “I came on the day the mortuary was burnt to see the corpse of our brother. I was denied access into the mortuary only to receive a call at 3pm when I was already at home that the mortuary had gone up in flames.

“We are yet to identify his remains but we are waiting for morticians from Awka to determine what cause of action to take concerning that.”

Also, Mr Sunday Onuorah, whose brother was deposited recently regretted the double pain the incident has brought to his family.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...