Posted by Ahmed Musa | 21 December 2018 | 789 times
The four-day warning strike called by aggrieved workers of the National Assembly has been suspended.
The workers had under the auspices of the Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN), on Monday commenced the action in protest of their unpaid 28 percent consolidated legislative salary structure (CONLESS), approved since 2010, as well as other issues bordering on poor conditions of service.
Addressing news men in Abuja to update the public about on the warning strike, the Chairman of PASAN Comrade Musa Muhammed Bature and other union leaders disclosed that the strike action had been suspended as some of their demands were being addressed by the management.
According to him, the management had agreed to implement 28 percent increment in the Consolidated Legislative Salary Structure (CONLESS) after lengthy discussions with the workers and that its payment would start from January next year.
He further disclosed that on the review of condition of service, the management had confirmed that both the two Chambers of the National Assembly had passed the document and that the process of harmonisation had commenced and would be formalised as soon as the document was endorsed.
The union leader explained that on the issue of promotions, the management vigorously agreed that outstanding letters of promotion would be released as soon as work resumes while on the issue of no vacancy, a committee was set up with the union to identify available vacancies before the end of the year 2018.
Speaking on the constitution of the Commissioners of the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC), he said that the names of the nominees had been forwarded to the President for appointment.
The Union said that they continue negotiations with the management on those issues and thanked the workers for their commitment to ensure the success of the strike.
They had issued a notice of strike to the Senate President Dr. Bukola Saraki and Secretariat of National Assembly Service Commission on Friday December 14, 2018 and workers embarked on the strike on Monday during which they blocked major entry points to the Three Arms Zone where the National Assembly is situated.
The Clerk of the NASS, Sani Omolori had to invite the security agencies to assist to in securing the NASS Complex from the striking workers before President Muhammadu Buhari could present his 2019 budget proposal on Wednesday.
•Sourced from a Independent report
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.