Posted by Timileyin Omilana | 23 November 2018 | 1,553 times
Independent Electoral Commission Wednesday denied the reports that the commission will begin the registration of permanent voters card again ahead of the February election.
The electoral body disclosed this in a tweet.
“Information reaching the Commission that some persons have been circulating messages online that “INEC HAS GIVING ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO REGISTER FOR YOUR PVC, STARTING ON THE 2ND TO 10TH DECEMBER 2018”,” INEC tweeted.
“The report is untrue and we advise the public to ignore it.”
The commission had begun the CVR exercise on April the 27th, 2017 and fixed August the 17th, 2018 as the closing date. That deadline was extended by two weeks which ended on August the 31st.
Although several appeals were made seeking a further extension of the CVR amidst long queues across registration points, INEC said the extension is impossible.
The commission said it decided to suspend the exercise till next year to enable it to produce the PVCs for distribution.
“The commission would not want to deny anyone the right to vote; hence the need to suspend the exercise temporarily to prepare for the general elections in 2019.’’
According to him, 141,345 persons, comprising 55,407 (39 per cent) females and 85,947 (61 per cent) males have so far registered as at July 30.
With 91 political parties, INEC said there are about 74 million voters geared to take informed decision and action at the general elections in 2019.
•Sourced from The Guardian report
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.