Posted by News Express | 14 December 2012 | 3,521 times
Super Eagles foreign-based stars have been handed a January 4 deadline to report at the team’s Faro camp in Portugal for their final phase of preparations for the 2013 African Cup of Nations.
Handing down the deadline, Musa Amadu, General Secretary of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), declared that erring players would be shut out of the squad.
“There won’t be any problem as regards the release of our players for the African Cup of Nations because the competition is recognised by both CAF and FIFA. Let’s not also forget that AFCON is a very big tournament. Everyone knows it is the biggest football fiesta in Africa,” Amadu told newsmen.
He further hinted that sanctions would be invoked through the might of FIFA on erring European clubs and players.
Hear Amadu: “Obviously, since it is the biggest tournament on the continent, the foreign clubs are obliged to release the players two weeks to the competition.
“So, as expected, by 4 January, 2013, we expect the foreign-based players to report to the team’s camp in Portugal, otherwise we will employ sanctions on the players and the clubs involved.”
As previously reported by News Express, the Super Eagles’ camp will open in the Nigerian capital, Abuja this Sunday, with the arrival of the 23 invited home-based players and holidaying Norway-based midfielder, Fegor Ogude.
“The preparations are in top gear. The Eagles will train till 27 December in Abuja, and move to Faro for the last phase of camping,” Amadu said.
He assured that a top-of-the-bill friendly international between the Eagles and a selected Spanish team would hold in Spain before the Nations Cup.
•Photo: England-based Mikel Obi is one of the players handed the January 4 deadline to hit camp.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.