Posted by News Express | 24 October 2018 | 893 times
The United Nations (UN) has called on the Federal Government to protect civilians in Borno and Kaduna states.
UN Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, made the call in a statement on Tuesday while condemning the attacks that claimed several lives in the states.
He raised the concern about what he described as tragic incidents in the two northern states of the country.
“I would like to appeal to the Government of Nigeria and security forces in the region to scale up their efforts aimed at protecting civilian communities, especially in areas where sporadic attacks have been recorded recently,” Kallon said.
Kalloon’s call came five days after youths clashed at Kasuwan Magani area of Kaduna State where no fewer than 55 people were killed.
The UN official also condemned the violence in Borno State where Boko Haram terrorists killed dozens of residents in the communities which came under attack.
He told the government that the renewed attacks, if not checked on time, “May reverse the gains made so far in securing lives and property in the region.”
As security agencies tackle the security challenges in parts of the country, Kallon urged the state governments to join forces with the Federal Government in addressing the situation.
He also called on relevant stakeholders to identify the main cause of the violence with a view to bringing the perpetrators to book.
The UN official condoled with the families of the victims and assured the Federal Government of the support of the global body in tackling insecurity in the country.
•Sourced from Channels TV report
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.