Posted by News Express | 19 October 2018 | 726 times
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has refuted the allegation that negligence on its part caused the oil pipeline fire incident last week Friday in Umuaduru and Umuimo communities in Osisioma Ngwa Local Government Area of Abia State.
Spokesman for the corporation, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, on Thursday said the incident was triggered off by suspected oil thieves who had hacked into System 2E pipeline network of the corporation with a view to intercepting the flow of petrol from Port Harcourt to Aba.
Ughamadu in a statement said the clarification became necessary in view of the recent statement by a legislator indicting NNPC on the fire outbreak which had claimed lives and valuable properties.
The NNPC spokesperson explained that the presence of items such as jerrycans, among others, at the scene of the incident as contained in the preliminary report on the matter indicated that the activities of vandals in the area ignited the flame.
He regretted that incessant vandalism of pipeline facilities along System 2Ex Pipeline Right of Way (PROW) has led to the under-utilization of the Enugu Depot, saying that the breaches have prevented the corporation from pumping fuel into it.
He called on relevant government agencies to collaborate with the corporation to appropriately criminalize vandalism of oil facilities across the country, adding that host communities should also partner the NNPC to tame the scourge.
•Sourced from Daily Trust report
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.