Posted by News Express | 10 June 2014 | 7,491 times
The Police yesterday took over the Emir’s Palace in Kano, following continuation of the protest that greeted the announcement of former Central Bank Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, as successor to late Ado Bayero, who died last Friday.
The protests notwithstanding, the new Emir was, yesterday, presented with his appointment letter and staff of office by Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.
Irate youths opposed to the appointment of Sanusi as the 14th Fulani Emir of Kano by Governor Kwankwaso took to the streets again, yesterday, forcing the closure of private and public schools. The youths in their hundreds seized the Emir’s Palace Road, made bonfires at strategic points on the highway, while motorists were forced to divert to other roads. The protesting youths, clutching tree branches kept chanting “bamuayi”.
A contingent of anti-riot policemen was drafted to the palace to dislodge the protesters. The palace was then placed under security cover as only female visitors were allowed to enter into the centuries-old palace. This has now cut short the week-long mourning of the late Emir.
Commenting on the development, Police Public Relations Officer in Kano, ASP Magaji Musa Majia, said: “Yes, we have some security challenges at hand but we have adopted counter measures to address the problem.”
A source said: “These policemen were drafted to the palace on Sunday night after the emergence of the new Emir.
“The police said they were acting on intelligence report including the invasion of the Emir’s personal room in the palace by some people who stole some items. They said they are investigating the theft.
“There is however a strong suspicion that the policemen were brought to the place to stop Sanusi from having access to the palace following protests.
“They are under stern instruction not to allow any person, including the new Emir, from entering the palace until all issues surrounding the appointment are resolved.”
Findings also revealed that a tight security ring had been woven around the four kingmakers, Alhaji Yusuf Nabani (Madakin Kano); Alhaji Sarki Abdullahi (Makaman Kano); Alhaji Bello Tuta (Sarki Dawaki Mai-Tuta); and Alhaji Mukhtar Adnan (Sarki Bai).
Another source added: “Some riot policemen have been provided for the kingmakers to protect them from any harm.
“Virtually everyone is besieging the kingmakers to know what really transpired at their session on Saturday and Sunday.
“So, these kingmakers are central to the appointment of a new Emir and aftermath in Kano. This is why they are being protected.”
Contacted on telephone, Kano State Commissioner of Police Adenrele Shinaba said: “Ours is to take control of security and that is what we are doing.”
Our reporter learnt that four people may have died and several others injured during a clash between Sanusi’s supporters and those who opposed his appointment.
Both groups made bonfires on the road leading to the Emir’s palace and Kofar Nasarawa. The police put out the fire and dispersed the crowd. But they regrouped for another free-for-all.
President Goodluck Jonathan has meanwhile shelved his planned trip to Kano following Mallam Sanusi’s emergence as Emir.
The President was expected to pay a condolence visit to Kano yesterday, but the trip, sources said, was cancelled on Sunday night following Sanusi’s emergence.
A source said: “The President wanted to be in Kano on Monday (yesterday) but the emergence of Sanusi and the protests that accompanied it made the President to stay away from any controversy.
“I think the President may find a more auspicious time to be in Kano. He loves the people of the state; he shares their pain on the loss of the late emir.”
•Pieced together from reports in vanguard and The Nation. Photo shows Emir Sanusi discussing with Governor Kwankwaso after receiving his certificate of appointment . . . yesterday in Kano.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.