Posted by News Express | 18 May 2014 | 4,025 times
The Principal of Government College, Makurdi, Godfrey Ugudu, on Saturday said the school had received letter from Boko Haram sect threatening to attack the school.
Ugudu, who announced this at a news conference in Makurdi, added that the school received two letters which had the same content on May 14.
“It is true that we saw two letters informing us of the intention of the sect to invade our school on Friday or Monday by Boko Haram,” he said, adding:
“The letters were dated May 14, 2014, stating that they were coming either of the two days to abduct our boys whom they would marry to the secondary school girls abducted in Chibok.
“In the letter, we were asked to inform the Mount Saint Gabriel Secondary School opposite us to also get prepared as they promised to invade the place too.”
According to Ugude, “We immediately alerted the police and the Commissioner for Education. A report has been made to the Governor on the issue.
“The two letters, which were written in Pidgin English, were sighted inside one of the classrooms and the second one was slipped into the staff room.”
The principal commended the government and security operatives in the state for their prompt response to the issue.
He said that everything had been done to ensure the safety of the school children, adding that he had informed the Principal of Mount Saint Gabriel.
NAN reports that about 500 out of about 700 students of the college are living in the school while Mount Saint Gabriel is purely boarding school.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Dan Ezeala, confirmed the report and assured that police were on top of the situation.
Meanwhile, Boko Haram this weekend struck again in Borno State, with 16 persons feared killed.
In two other attacks, five policemen were reportedly abducted with their armoured personnel carrier (APC) while a Chinese was killed and 10 others kidnapped during an overnight attack in Kuseri Village between Gamboru Ngala council and Cameroun.
The missing/abducted policemen were identified by sources as Inspector Luka Maina, Sergeant Manya Chaka, Corporals Hassan Dauda, Emmanuel Onoche and Umar Ali.
Our correspondent gathered that the Banki incident took place on Friday at about 9:50 in the morning when some policemen attached to Banki Division were attacked by terrorists while trying to drop six of them at the junction road who were to proceed to their promotion course examination and interview.
Another source said, “Five policemen attached to Banki, a border town with Bama and Cameroon Republic, were attacked by Boko Haram. The terrorists opened fire on the APC No: NPF 4960c conveying the policemen led by an inspector and five others. The policemen quickly dropped from the APC and ran into the bush before the terrorists went away with the abandoned APC. As I am talking to you now (yesterday), the whereabouts of the policemen are yet to be known and we suspect the terrorists might have kidnapped or killed them.”
Borno Commissioner of Police, Mr. Tanko Lawan, confirmed the abduction of the five policemen and the seizing of the APC.
The 16 persons were feared killed when some gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents attacked Ngubdala village near Ngurosoye community in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
The killing of the Chinese and abduction of the 10 others, reportedly took place at an encampment used by the Chinese road workers close to Chibok where some school girls were kidnapped April 14.
“The Boko Haram militants were heavily armed, they came in five vehicles”, an official in Waza, a town near the site of the attack, said on condition of anonymity.
He said the camp where the Chinese road workers stayed was usually guarded by soldiers from Cameroon’s elite Rapid Intervention Battalion, but many of the troops were in Yaounde for a military parade.
“Cameroonian soldiers retaliated and the fighting lasted until 3 a.m. (0200 GMT)”, said a local police chief.
He said one Chinese worker was killed and 10 others had been missing since the attack and were believed kidnapped by the Boko Haram gunmen.
A source close to the Chinese embassy in the Cameroonian capital, Yaounde, spoke of 10 missing and one wounded but would not confirm or deny whether one had been killed.
•Pieced together from reports by NAN and Vanguard. Photo shows Boko Haram terrorists.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.