Church killings: Ozubulu set for memorial mass for 13 slain worshippers

Posted by Pamela Eboh, Awka | 5 August 2018 | 781 times

Gmail icon

•St. Philip’s Catholic Church, Ozubulu, Anambra State

The 13 worshippers who were slain by unknown gunmen at an early morning mass in August last year at St. Philip's Catholic Church, Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Local Government Area of Anambra State, are billed to be honoured with a memorial service on Monday, August 6.
The memorial service, which will mark exactly one of the massacre, would be conducted by the Catholic Bishop of Nnewi  Diocese, Most Rev. Hilary Okeke, asisted by other notable clergymen.
The deceased persons, among them a seven-month-old baby and 75-year-old Chief Cyprian Ikegwuonu, were buried on Jan. 12, after security operatives concluded autopsy on their corpses.
President General of Ozubulu Development Union (ODU), Mr. Peter Uzokwe, said in an interview that the memorial service would mark the end of the mourning and to pray God for such not to happen again.
He said: "Monday Aug. 6, marks one year of the dastardly act by yet-to-be known assailants at St. Philip’s Church, Ozubulu.
“We are all in town to pray together. It is a solemn moment for us and time to seek the face of God.
“We enjoin all to come and pray with us. The event would be open to the public."
Though four persons, including a local security guard at the church have been fingered for the crime, none has beenconvicted as the matter is still in court.
However, due to the increased tension and threats to witnesses following proceedings, the matter was transferred from Nnewi High Court and is currently being handled by the Awka High Court.

 


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...