60 die after drinking Kenyan ‘ogogoro’

Posted by News Express | 7 May 2014 | 3,757 times

Gmail icon


More than 60 people are reported to have died in Kenya after drinking homemade alcohol similar to what Nigerians call ogogoro, kai kai or akpeteshi. The drink was however believed to have been laced with industrial chemicals, according to a BBC report.

“Dozens of others are said to have been blinded since Sunday after drinking the illicit brew in four counties,” the report said.

Officials say it may have contained methanol – a toxic substance used to boost the strength of the drink.

Consumption of homemade brew is popular in Kenya, where most people cannot afford to buy standardised alcohol.

The deaths were reported in Embu, Kitui, Limuru and Kiambu counties.

The officials say the liquor could have come from the same distributor or the same batch.

In 2005, more than 45 people died after drinking illegal alcohol laced with methanol.

•Photo shows Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...