Obama demands regular briefing on abducted Nigerian schoolgirls •US outraged, vows to help find them

Posted by News Express | 6 May 2014 | 3,606 times

Gmail icon


United States President Barack Obama has demanded and is receiving regular briefings about the over 200 teenage girls abducted on April 14 from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, the White House has disclosed.

A BBC report quotes White House spokesman Jay Carney as saying in a White House briefing: “We view what has happened there as an outrage and a terrible tragedy.

“The president has been briefed several times and his national security team continues to monitor the situation there closely. The state department has been in regular touch with the Nigerian government about what we might do to help support its efforts to find and free these young women.”

Carney said that the US was outraged by the abduction and was offering counter-terrorism help to Nigerian investigators that involved “information-sharing” and improving Nigeria’s “forensics and investigative capacity.”

Already, six US senators have introduced a resolution supporting the Nigerian people and calling for the immediate return of the girls.

Senator Dick Durbin, one of the resolution’s sponsors, called the kidnapping “an affront to the civilised world.”

“We and our African allies should do everything to help the Nigerian government rescue innocent girls and return them to their families,” he said in a tweet.

In an emotional address to the US Senate, Democratic Senator Amy Klobuchar also called for action.

“We cannot close our eyes to the clear evidence of barbarity unfolding before us in Nigeria,” she said.

“This is one of those times when our action or inaction will be felt not just by those schoolgirls being held captive and their families waiting in agony, but by victims and perpetrators of trafficking around the world. Now is the time to act.”

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau sent a video – obtained by the AFP news agency – in which he said for the first time that his group had taken the girls.

Boko Haram, which means “Western education is forbidden,” has attacked numerous educational institutions in northern Nigeria.

In the video, Abubakar Shekau said the girls should not have been in school in the first place, but rather should get married.

“God instructed me to sell them, they are his properties and I will carry out his instructions,” he said.

Reports last week said that some of the girls had been forced to marry their abductors, who paid a nominal bride price of $12 (£7).

Others are reported to have been taken across borders into Cameroon and Chad.

The girls were in their final year at the boarding school in Chibok, most of them aged 16 to 18.

In a TV broadcast on Sunday – his first public comment on the abductions – President Goodluck Jonathan said everything was being done to find the girls.

•Photo shows US President Barack Obama.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...