Panic in Lagos over America’s warning on likely Boko Haram attack

Posted by News Express | 4 May 2014 | 4,085 times

Gmail icon


A security warning from the United States of America to its citizens of an alleged plan by the deadly Islamic sect, Boko Haram, to attack hotels in Lagos, has left residents of the state on the edge.

A report on Friday suggested that the sect plans to attack one of two Sheraton hotels in Lagos, Nigeria’s main commercial hub which attracts many foreign business people and which, so far, has been spared by the country’s violent Islamist militants.

In a statement on its website, the State Department said those behind the plot were “groups with associated with terrorism” but gave no further details.

“As of late April, groups associated with terrorism allegedly planned to mount an unspecified attack against the Sheraton Hotel in Nigeria, near the city of Lagos,” the State Department said late on Friday.

“There was no further information regarding which of the two Sheraton Hotels in Lagos was the possible target … There is no further information regarding the timing or method of attack.”

It cautioned U.S. citizens to avoid the hotels.

A mother, Mrs. Adenike Adedeji, whose four children are enrolled in public schools in Lagos State, said parents and the school owners should be conscious of movements around their schools.

Proprietress of Mansfield Nursery and Primary School, Gbagada, Lagos, Mrs. Titilayo Adeniran, made it clear that that safety of the children is collective duty by both parents and school and community on the other hand.

Security experts have also called on Nigerians to be more security conscious.

“The true situation is that when information like this is given, we should take it seriously. Information gathered should be worked upon by the security operatives and people should be more security conscious. There should be more security conscious in areas that have marked for attack,” said Patrick Agbambu, a security expert.

While calling for reinforced security to deny terrorist attacks, a renowned security expert, Ona Ekhomu said there would be future attack in Lagos.

The police authority in Lagos has, however, allayed fears caused by the U.S. report, urging residents to go about their normal activities, as security and intelligence have been strengthened across the state.

Police Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Police Command, Ngozi Braide, speaking on the security arrangements on ground in the state to ward off criminals, including the Boko Haram insurgents, said the police has water-tight security in the state.

“As a responsible law enforcement agency, we do not trivialise information. Though there is nothing empirical that gives credence to that information,” Braide, a Deputy Superintendent of Police said.

•Rewritten from a Sunday Independent report. Photo shows Lagos State Police PRO Ngozi Braide.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...