Posted by Mustapha Buhari | 30 April 2018 | 3,544 times
The death toll in in the attack by armed bandits who stormed Janruwa community, Maganda District of Birnin-Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Saturday, has jumped from the earlier reported 10-14 to at least 40. Several others sustained injuries in the onslaught.
It was gathered that the victims were mostly local miners and villagers.
Witnesses said the attackers encircled the community around 12:45 pm and began shooting sporadically.
“In a cruel and inhuman manner, the bandits burnt many of their victims beyond recognition,” said a security source who preferred not to be named.
It was gathered that some of the bodies have been deposited at Jibril Maigwari General Hospital at Birnin-Gwari morgue, while other copses were still not recovered from the mining pits.
It was gathered that at least 13 people with gun shots are currently receiving treatment at the hospital, while three others have been referred to Kaduna due to severity of their injuries.
“The casualty figure may rise as security men and volunteers are on their way to Janruwa village close to old Birnin-Gwari along present Birnin-Gwari-Funtua road,” said a resident, Jibrin Alkali.
“It is not clear the mission of the armed bandits but sources said they are on revenge on the killings of their gang members by local vigilantes.”
Our reporter leant that while Kaduna-Birnin Gwari highway and adjoining villages are relatively quiet from the attacks of armed bandits, Birnin-Gwari-Funtua road and eastern part of the local government witnessed attacks, abduction and incessant killings by armed bandits.
“We are once again under siege and need urgent intervention by both state and the federal government,” Mr Alkali cried out.
When contacted, the state Commissioner of Police, Austin Iwar, told DAILY NIGERIAN that 10 people were killed in the attack.
“OK so far ten persons are dead, thirteen injured out of which six are hospitalized in Birnin Gwari and seven rushed to Kaduna for treatment.
“We are still investigating the remote and immediate cause of this attack.”
But Samuel Aruwan, spokesman for Kaduna State Governor, said the State Government is still receiving reports on the incident and would issue statement at appropriate time.
“We are still receiving reports on the incident, and we will issue statement at appropriate time.
“The area is now calm. We sympathise with people of the area over the incident,” Mr Aruwan added.
•Adapted from DAILY NIGERIAN report.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.