Posted by News Express | 21 April 2018 | 909 times
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) warehouse at Ikeja in Lagos was on Saturday gutted by fire, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The South-West zonal spokesman of the agency, Mr Farinloye Ibrahim, confirmed the incident to NAN, stressing that the warehouse was being used to keep relief materials.
“We don’t have many materials in the warehouse as at the time of the fire incident. We have few mattresses, foams and other few facilities. The fire started at about 8.30 a.m.
“The damage was not much before the fire was put out. We cannot estimate as at now the cost of the materials burnt,” Ibrahim said.
The Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasaki Musibau, told NAN that a high tension cable fell on the roof of the warehouse which resulted to the fire.
Musibau said the service’s timely intervention prevented the fire from spreading to a nearby petrol filling station and other public buildings
“No casualties. We drew firemen from three stations to put out the fire. The firemen, officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and police put out the fire,” he said.
In a related development, fire on Saturday razed the two-storey building of Kaduna State Independent Electoral Commission (KADSIECOM), few weeks before the Local Government Election in the state.
The election in the 23 LGs and 255 wards has been scheduled for May 12.
A witness, Ibrahim Musa told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the huge fire on the last floor of the building at Sokoto Road, GRA was noticed around 11: 24 a.m. It followed a thick smoke.
The cause of the fire had yet to be ascertained, even as fire-fighting officials were seen putting out the fire.
The Agency had said it procured six thousand electronic card readers for the May 12 LGs elections.
As at press time, Chairperson of the Commission, Mrs Saratu Dikko, who arrived at the commission’s premises with other officials, declined to comment. (NAN)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.