Police rescue stubborn boy chained by grandmother in Ogun

Posted by News Express | 25 January 2018 | 1,427 times

Gmail icon

•Police Commissioner Ahmed Iliyasu

The Ogun State Police Command has rescued a 12-year-old boy from Obada area of Abeokuta, the state capital.

The boy was chained by his grandmother under the guise that he was stubborn and has an alleged stealing habit.

The State Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Iliyasu, while leading the rescue mission to the scene of the incident, said the Police acted on intelligence information by members of the community which led to the rescue of the boy.

He however described the act as an inhuman, which the command would not allow to stand.

“The victim, Segun Azeez was tied to an iron chair with a big chain at the residence of his grandmother for two months. This is a case of wickedness and the child had emaciated by reason of this inhuman treatment meted to him,” he sad

“Segun has been tied like an animal and has been defecating and eating at the same spot for about two months.

“We quickly had to move in to effect the arrest in line with the laws of the state and international best practices.

“A human being cannot take such inhuman measure against another human being.

“Such issues can lead to cases of rituals and disappearances of human beings, and so we had to move fast.”

The mother, who later spoke with newsmen, said she and Segun’s father, Wale Azeez, had separated since 2011.

According to her, Segun has since been living with his paternal grandmother and had only brought the child back last November.

“I was told that he was so stubborn and always running away from home while he was at Sagamu with his paternal grandmother.

“He had continued to do the same and we have had to go and pick him up at different locations in Abeokuta on several occasions.

“He has also stolen my money and phone and ran away and his attitude had led me to bring him to Obada to be staying with my mother. He had continued to also run away from home and my mother had told me she could no longer cope with the situation and this was why I decided to tie him down,” she said.

The mother said that Segun was not tied down permanently for the two months, adding that he was allowed to move about occasionally but accompanied.

She, however, said she regretted her action. (Channels TV)

Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...