Fidelity bank card banner Emerald Energy Institute Camano banner

Barcelona finally land Coutinho, release clause set at €400m

By News Express on 07/01/2018

Gmail icon

Views: 1,907

•Brazilian star Philippe Coutinho
•Brazilian star Philippe Coutinho

Barcelona on Saturday confirmed that they had agreed to sign Brazilian star Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool, promising to give the details later.

But multiple reports said the transfer deal is worth up to 160 million.

“Barcelona and Liverpool have reached an agreement for the transfer of Philippe Coutinho. The player will sign a contract for the rest of the season and five more years with a release clause of 400 million,” said a Barcelona statement.

On their website, Barcelona ran the headline, ‘Coutinho a Barca player’, displaying the ex-Liverpool player in photo-shopped Barcelona colours.

The deal for the 25-year-old attacking midfielder will be the third highest in history after the 222 million that Paris Saint-Germain paid Barcelona for Brazilian star Neymar last year and the 180 million that Kylian Mbappe will cost PSG from Monaco once the French player’s loan period with the Ligue 1 champions is completed.

“It is with great reluctance that we – as a team and club – prepare to say farewell to a good friend, a wonderful person and a fantastic player in Philippe Coutinho,” Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp told the club’s official website.

“It is no secret that Philippe has wanted this move to happen since July, when Barcelona first made their interest known.

“Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.”

Barcelona had tried to sign Coutinho in the summer, but his departure now is a blow to Liverpool as the playmaker has just returned to top form after an injury-hit start to the season.

He scored six goals in the last seven games of 2017 to put his side firmly in the Champions League places.

Capturing Coutinho allows Barcelona to move on from the bitter experience of losing his Brazil teammate Neymar last summer.

Coutinho had stayed in Liverpool on Saturday while his teammates jetted off to Dubai for warm-weather training, fuelling speculation that he was set to leave the English Premier League club.

Coutinho’s age is also highly attractive to Barcelona, whose three main stars, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Andres Iniesta are all in their thirties. Iniesta, at 33, has shown signs of fatigue this season.

French sports daily L’Equipe reported on Saturday that Liverpool were lining up Leicester’s Riyad Mahrez to replace Coutinho, although Britain’s Press Association said the Anfield club had contacted Leicester to inform them that the reports were pure speculation. (NAN)

 

Source News Express

Posted 07/01/2018 02:31:52 AM

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Boundary disputes: Imo Deputy Governor, Abia counterpart restore...

Lagos Guber: Ex-Kebbi Governor, Aliero, writes Tinubu, pleads...

Lagos targets 60 per cent student performance in...

Why FG should release Col. Dasuki without further...

Pastor, 2 others arraigned for fraud

Okorocha appoints wife supervisor of 4 government ministries...

Assets Declaration: Charges against me laughable, malicious –...

6,000 APC members defect to PDP in Sokoto...

Whistle blowers under threat

Princess dumps royalty to marry commoner

FG assures on enrolment of all public workers...

Music star Omawumi finally marries heartthrob

 

Latest News BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Makinde’s election as Oyo Governor Buhari critic resigns 10 days after accepting appointment in Ministry of Budget Boko Haram attacks University of Maiduguri Militants point new path to Niger Delta development Obasanjo writes South African leader over Xenophobia Gov. Umahi appoints 180 additional aides FG extends border closure indefinitely 10,000 Nigerian girls forced into prostitution in Burkina Faso – Ambassador FUOYE killings: Fayemi directs commissioner of police to commence investigation Xenophobia: FG releases states of returnees Resident doctors demand improved healthcare infrastructure in southeast Falling container kills 2, injures others in Lagos

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (540,346 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (442,859 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (389,165 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (326,582 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (294,556 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (253,595 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (249,673 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (238,265 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (231,416 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (217,406 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (195,789 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (193,401 views)

 

CBN milk production

CBN banner advert

UBA Wise Savers Promo

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (102) Business & Economy (4,443) Business Verdict (80) Columnists (1,109) Complaints & Requests (96) Enterprise & Opportunities (215) Entertainment (664) Features (811) Global Business Monitor (442) ICT Monitor (63) International (3,953) Interview (203) Live Commentary (30) Love Matters (170) Maggie's Blog (410) News (51,360) Opinion (1,358) Pidgin (17) Politics (11,446) Religion (1,102) Sports (2,166) Stock Watch (39) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera