Fidelity bank banner UBA banner
Boko Haram kills 4 UN workers in Borno

By News Express on 18/12/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 1,015


Four people were killed when a United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) aid convoy was ambushed in northeast Nigeria, a WFP spokeswoman said on Sunday, in the latest attack in the region as the conflict with Boko Haram nears its ninth year.

Attacks on aid workers are relatively rare in the conflict with the Islamist insurgency, compared with assaults on the military and civilians in Nigeria’s northeast.

The years of fighting have spawned what the United Nations calls one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world, with 8.5 million people in need of life-saving assistance.

“WFP can confirm that a convoy escorted by the Nigerian military including WFP-hired trucks was the subject of an attack by armed groups 35 km southwest of Ngala in Borno State on Saturday,” she said in an emailed statement.

“Four people, including the driver of a WFP-hired truck and a driver’s assistant, were killed in the incident,” the statement said, adding that “WFP is working with the authorities to determine the whereabouts of the trucks.”

The spokeswoman declined to comment on whether the driver and assistant were WFP staff, or give details about the other two people killed.

A military spokesman declined to comment.

Last year, the United Nations suspended aid deliveries in Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno, the epicentre of the conflict, after a humanitarian convoy was attacked, leaving two aid workers injured.

Last week, the Nigerian government approved the release of $1 billion from the country’s excess oil account to the government to help fight the Boko Haram insurgency, despite a two-year narrative that Boko Haram has been all but defeated.

There are other signs the government and military may be abandoning that narrative.

Nigeria’s long-term plan is now to corral civilians inside fortified garrison towns – effectively ceding the countryside to Boko Haram.

Earlier this month, Nigeria replaced the military commander of the campaign against Boko Haram after half a year in the post. Military sources told Reuters that came after a series of “embarrassing” attacks by the Islamists.

•Text courtesy of Reuters.

Source News Express

Posted 18/12/2017 05:58:59 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Police arrest 2 killers of Igbo pastor’s wife...

Edo governorship election rigged —Fayose

Man kills biological father inside mosque

Anambra APC crisis latest: Annie Okonkwo explodes, says...

Lagos Govt vows to enforce traffic law •Restricts...

Buhari makes 4 new appointments

Aftermath of ASUU/FG MoU: Universities to reopen next...

IPOB vows to stop Gov. Obiano’s second term...

2019: APC embarks on house-to-house campaign

Trump, Jay Z at war

Maritime crucial to the growth of African economy...

Nigerian Idol Season 5 to be unveiled first...

 

Latest News APC governors collect signatures to remove Oshiomhole as party chairman Lagos Assembly reacts to impeachment moves against Ambode EFCC to investigate abandoned projects across the country Man hacks farmer, policeman to death in Ondo Kutigi, Tukur: Nigeria has lost two great patriots, says Obi Doctors find 122 nails in patient’s stomach Money laundering: Court remands Fayose in EFCC custody Military kills three Gana boys in Benue NYSC suspends Orientation Course in Kaduna ‘till further notice’ Supreme Court reinstates injunction order against Rivers APC congresses MRA inducts PTDF into ‘FOI Hall of Shame’, expresses concern over FG’s failure to act NHIS workers block suspended Executive Secretary from entering office

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (408,934 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (383,552 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (315,979 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (259,130 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (238,412 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (224,979 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (204,855 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (186,272 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (171,138 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (166,373 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (162,047 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (149,734 views)

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (70) Business & Economy (3,703) Business Verdict (52) Columnists (949) Complaints & Requests (94) Enterprise & Opportunities (207) Entertainment (561) Features (660) Global Business Monitor (305) International (2,564) Interview (165) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (145) News (39,834) Opinion (1,127) Pidgin (13) Politics (7,344) Religion (885) Sports (1,739) Stock Watch (35) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

NLNG Prize for Literature 2018

Zenith Zero Balance

CBN banner

Firstmobile banner

 

 

 

NEWS EXPRESS TV

LIBYA vs NIGERIA 2-3 Goals Highlights

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera

Advertisement