Police fired twice before a third shot killed aide of Abia Governor’s son —Commissioner

Posted by News Express | 17 February 2014 | 5,222 times

Gmail icon

Abia State Information and Strategy Commissioner, Eze Chikamnayo, has confirmed that the policemen at the venue of Saturday’s tragic reception for Governor Theodore Orji did fire LIVE BULLETS around the time Mr. John Ndukuba, aide of Chief Chinedu Orji, first son of Governor Orji, was murdered.

Ndubuka was shot from close range at about 5.15 p.m. as he was about to leave the former Umuahia Main Market (venue of the reception organised for Governor Orji by his Ikwuano/Umuahia kinsmen), the bullet piercing his chest through his back. He was pronounced dead by doctors at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Umuahia, where he was rushed to after the shooting.

Reports have it that Mr. Ndubuka met his untimely and tragic death following a misunderstanding with Chinedu, as a result of which Chinedu in a fit of anger reportedly ordered his orderly to shoot the man.

Investigations by News Express confirmed that Ndukuba was shot shortly after he opened the door for Chinedu and closed it after Chinedu entered the car. It could not be confirmed if they exchanged words.

Briefing newsmen at the Government House yesterday, Chikamnayo disclosed that policemen shot twice into the air to scare away the surging crowd as Chinedu and other dignitaries made to depart. He, however, claimed that the policemen “shot from the east” whereas the third shot that killed Ndukuba came from the west.

He said he believes that the shot was meant for the Governor’s son, as it came from the back and directed towards the car door, which had been opened to enable him enter and move out of the place.

“But unfortunately the assassin’s bullet hit his PA, who had shut the door and was walking beside it.”

Chikamnayo said with 2015 general elections around the corner, nothing could be given to chance, adding that government was not taking the incident lightly.

However, he urged Abia residents to remain calm and go about their businesses without fear, saying security agencies were still working round the clock to ensure that lives and property were safe in the area.

Abia State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Geoffrey Ogbonna, said three policemen have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Ogbonnaya told the News Agency of Nigeria that the suspects were arrested between Saturday evening and Sunday morning, adding that the command had begun full investigation into the incident.

•Photo shows Abia State Information and Strategy Commissioner, Eze Chikamnayo.

Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...