Posted by News Express | 15 January 2014 | 3,348 times
The death toll in yesterday afternoon’s suicide bomb attack in Maiduguri, capital of Borno State in Nigeria’s troubled North-East, appears to be higher than earlier reported.
While News Express last night reported 17 dead, reports this morning in northern-based dailies such as Daily Trust and LEADERSHIP said at least 30 people were killed and over 50 others sustained injuries after a bomb-rigged car exploded and rammed into other vehicles. The attack, the deadliest in Maiduguri metropolis since March last year, has been blamed on Boko Haram terrorists.
“Residents and hospital sources said more than 30 people were killed and police have confirmed 17 deaths but said they were still counting the casualties,” reports Daily Trust, adding:
“Witnesses said more than 20 vehicles and five auto-rickshaws (popularly called Keke NAPEP) were burnt to ashes by the rampaging flame that emanated from the blast which occurred at the part of the metropolis known as GSM Village.
“The fire has also consumed many roadside tents and shops, mostly belonging to youths who sell recharge cards and handset accessories.
“Our correspondents gathered that many worshippers who congregated at a nearby mosque observing the Zuhr prayers and others sitting on slabs conducting ablution were killed.
“A police traffic warder, women selling bean cake, many motorists and a popular suya meat seller known as Malam Amadu Faragai and four of his staff, who were all close to the GSM Village, have lost their lives.
“Hospital sources said over 30 dead bodies were deposited at the state Specialists Hospital.
“One of the rescue workers, who does not want to be named, said they recovered about 33 bodies.”
Military authorities have blamed Boko Haram for the attack. A statement signed by the spokesman of the 7 Division Colonel Mohammed Dole said: “At about 1413 hours on Tuesday, 14th January, 2014, a Honda car laden with improvised explosive devices (IEDs) exploded near Post Office area in Maiduguri metropolis.
“Members of the frustrated Boko Haram terrorists are suspected to be behind the bomb explosion. Scores of death and injuries were recorded, 10 vehicles and five tricycles are confirmed damaged and one suspect is arrested. This incidence happened after a long period of relative peace in Maiduguri.
“However, in view of this emerging ugly development, the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army has stepped up measures to forestall further occurrence. While investigation is ongoing, the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Junaid Bindawa, warns that any individual or groups found to be behind these heinous and dastardly acts will be decisively dealt with.”
•Photo shows scene of the bomb blast.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.