Posted by News Express | 9 July 2017 | 2,324 times
Major General Attahiru Ibrahim, Theater Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maiduguri, on Saturday transferred 53 Boko Haram insurgents who had surrendered to the military rehabilitation centre for de-radicalisation process.
While handing over the former insurgents to the Commander, Operation Safe Corridor in Maiduguri, Ibrahim said the process of identifying who they were had commenced.
“They will move to a safe place where the de-radicalisation process takes place for possible re-integration into the society,” he assured.
Major General Bamidele Shafa, Coordinator of Operation Safe Corridor, said that the programme was designed to facilitate surrendering of the insurgents.
He said the Federal Government initiative was aimed at de-radicalisation, rehabilitation and re-integration of willing and surrendered Boko Haram members to the society.
“It is a multinational and multi-agency set up. We have a camp within the theatre where they will go through a well-planned programme that would make them better citizens,” he explained.
According to him, the rehabilitation programme will be run for three months.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that 70 insurgents had so far surrendered to the military in the Sambisa axis, while 700 others had indicated interest to surrender. (NAN)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.