Heavyweight boxer’s brain missing after ring punishment •The sad story of ‘Russian Mike Tyson’

Posted by News Express | 12 January 2014 | 4,158 times

Gmail icon

The heavyweight boxer known as the Russian Mike Tyson can now move one of his fingers and his legs, but only ever so slightly.

Magomed Abdusalamov, 32, doesn’t recognize anyone, can’t speak and his three young daughters haven’t seen him in nearly three months. They have no idea he is practically motionless at a Rockland County rehab hospital.

A portion of the boxer’s skull is missing, and he is a shadow of his former 230-pound girth. He is surrounded by photos of his family and images from his boxing career.

While the state inspector general is probing the brutal Nov. 2 boxing match that left Abdusalamov gravely injured, the boxer is getting therapy every two hours at the Helen Hayes Hospital in the hope that he regains something of his former self.

“Boxing? Forget about it,” said Amin Suleymanov, a cousin of Abdusalamov who visits him daily.

Not only is the boxer’s life at stake, so is the future of the New York State Athletic Commission, the official body that regulates boxing and would oversee the equally dangerous sport of mixed martial arts if approved in New York.

The IG’s office is interviewing those who were on the scene for the Madison Square Garden bout between Abdusalamov, a native of Dagestan who’d recorded 18 knockouts, and Mark Perez of Cuba. The probe is focused on whether the contest should have been stopped and on the Athletic Commission’s oversight of Abdusalamov’s medical condition.

Abdusalamov broke his left hand in the first round, and by the sixth round his face was swollen and he had difficulty closing his mouth.

No one with the authority to stop the contest, including Melvina Lathan, the chairwoman of the athletic commission who was in the audience, did so.

The slugfest went the full 10 rounds and left Abdusalamov a bloody loser, with a broken hand, nose and facial bone.

When blood appeared in his post-fight urine test, a sign of possible internal bleeding, the state inspector assigned to Abdusalamov advised the fighter to go to the hospital, a source said.

But the inspector made no arrangements – despite two ambulances standing by at the Garden – and, instead, suggested the boxer and his entourage hail a cab and ask the cabby where to go.

At 10:30 p.m. on a Saturday night, there were no cabs available outside the Garden.

“It was horrible. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off,” said Boris Grinberg Jr., the son of Abdusalamov’s manager.

The boxer’s condition was getting worse, and he vomited on the sidewalk.

Grinberg managed to commandeer a cab from a couple that had just hailed one.

They arrived at a crowded Roosevelt Hospital emergency room 25 blocks away, where Abdusalamov had to wait. Someone advised the entourage to step outside, call 911 and ask for an ambulance to take them into the very same ER in order to get faster service.

Abdusalamov vomited again and passed out. Grinberg’s father arrived, made a fuss and the fighter was finally seen by doctors who found he had a blood clot in his brain. The boxer had surgery, later suffered a stroke and was put in a medically induced coma.

He was transferred to Helen Hayes in late December. His family has retained a lawyer but can’t file a notice of claim until Abdusalamov’s wife is formally appointed as his guardian.

•Credit (except headline): New York Post.Photo shows ‘Russian Mike Tyson’ Magomed Abdusalamov (right) being beaten by Mike Perez.

Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

You may also like...