Posted by News Express | 21 December 2013 | 4,434 times
For the second time in just over two weeks, dare-devil Boko Haram terrorists yesterday launched a devastating attack on military facilities in Borno State in Nigeria’s troubled North-East. The attack came exactly 18 days after Boko Haram similarly attacked the Air Force Base and Nigerian Army barracks and checkpoints in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, with casualties on both sides.
Yesterday, Boko Haram’s target was the Army barracks in Bama. The casualty figure is not yet known but the attack was bad enough to warrant President Goodluck Jonathan to summon an emergency meeting with Service Chiefs, Inspector General of Police Mohammed Abubakar and National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd). The meeting took place shortly before Jonathan decorated 48 newly promoted Major Generals in the Army, Navy and Air Force at the Command Officers’ Mess, Asokoro in Abuja.
Giving details of yesterday’s attack, Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, said in a statement released later in the day in the Nigerian capital, Abuja: “Bama Barracks in Borno State was in the early hours of today (Friday) attacked by terrorists who came from cells located across Nigerian Border with Cameroun through Banki Town.
“High caliber weapons such as anti-aircraft and rocket propelled guns were freely used in the attack that lasted several hours. Ground troops backed by the Air Force have repelled the attack and are in pursuit of the insurgents.
“Details of casualties recorded in the incident will be released when the ongoing cordon and search operations in the general area is concluded.”
Olukolade further said that normalcy was being restored in the barracks and the surrounding communities properly secured while reinforcement had been sent to the area.
Formed in 2006, Boko Haram went violent in 2009 and its war to impose Islamic rule in multi-religious Nigeria is estimated to have cost about 4,000 lives.
•Photo shows a group of Boko Haram soldiers.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.
Tony Elumelu Foundation welcomes 1,000 Pan-African Entrepreneurs to $100M entrepreneurship programme...