Fidelity bank banner UBA banner
ASUU votes to end strike

By News Express on 24/11/2013

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+

Views: 3,347


The majority of member of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) who attended the two-day NEC Meeting of the union that ended yesterday in Kano voted to end the five-month-old strike.

A report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted a source as disclosing that 60 per cent of the members voted to have the strike called off while the remaining 40 per cent wanted it to continue.

The report said that ASU, however, resolved to keep mum until it met with President Goodluck Jonathan, who is due home this night after attending a meeting of Nigeria’s Honorary International Investors’ Council in London.

The report quoted a reliable source as saying: “ASUU has decided to meet with President Jonathan before making whatever decision they took during the meeting public.”

The NEC meeting considered a fresh proposal by President Jonathan aimed at ending the ASUU strike which has paralysed activities on Nigeria’s university campuses since July 1. The meeting was billed to hold two weeks ago but was postponed following the death of a former ASUU President, Professor Festus Iyayi, in a road accident in Lokoja.

ASUU embarked on a national strike that has shut down all Nigeria’s government owned universities, since July.

The academics wanted government to implement an agreement reached in 2009, that would improve funding for infrastructure in the universities and welfare of the teachers.

•Photo shows President Jonathan welcoming ASUU leaders to Aso Rock during their previous meeting aimed at ending the strike.

Source News Express

Posted 24/11/2013 6:19:15 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
5 Nigerians on board hijacked Ethiopian Airlines plane...

New National Security Adviser to resign if …...

Microsoft blames NSA for cyber attack that spread...

Breaking News: 8 SHOT as APC registration exercise...

NAPTIP rescues 50 from human traffickers

U.S. increases Immigration application fees

We still need IBB around —Gov. Sani Bello...

Kano partners UK to empower youths

Buhari defeats Jonathan in Aso Villa •President returns...

Refund over N40bn spent on Federal road projects...

Ondo SDP leader joins PDP

Intersociety gives Osinbajo 90 days to probe human...

 

Latest News British PM Theresa May survives vote of confidence 2019: Agbaje lashes Sanwo-Olu; insists Lagosians in bondage, need liberation Why there will be no peace in APC: Communications Minister Adebayo Shittu Cashier, wife, mother-in-law docked for bank fraud APC, Presidency designing plots to frustrate PDP governors: Secondus Whistle blowers charged with conspiracy to rob Gov. Dickson to remain in prison Police most violator of human rights, survey finds DTSG assures of effective healthcare coverage Sack Tambuwal from office, APC begs S’Court NPA concessions Terminal B, Warri Old Port FG blames N’Assembly for delay in 2019 Budget presentation Kaduna Polytechnic joins ASUP strike

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (429,913 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (394,851 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (327,723 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (281,150 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (247,847 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (229,277 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (212,126 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (193,333 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (179,621 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (170,463 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (167,246 views) Gunmen kill ASP, 2 other police officers in vain bid to kidnap Rivers PDP chieftain (153,704 views)

 

Zenith Zero Balance First Bank chat banking

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (76) Business & Economy (3,875) Business Verdict (54) Columnists (973) Complaints & Requests (95) Enterprise & Opportunities (208) Entertainment (575) Features (679) Global Business Monitor (313) International (2,814) Interview (167) Live Commentary (28) Love Matters (146) Maggie's Blog (69) News (41,381) Opinion (1,151) Pidgin (13) Politics (8,147) Religion (913) Sports (1,817) Stock Watch (35) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera