Posted by News Express | 5 November 2013 | 4,398 times
Anambrarians in the Lagos State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) have raised questions about last weekend’s stampede at the Holy Ghost Adoration Ministry in Uke, Anambra State, which claimed several lives.
They raised the questions, 12 in number, in a statement in which they also faulted the call by the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) for the arrest of APC governorship candidate, Senator Chris Ngige, in connection with the tragedy. A statement issued yesterday in Lagos entitled “Uke Tragedy: Who Is To Blame?” signed by Chief Joe Igbokwe on behalf of Anambrans in APC Lagos said as follows:
“It is with heavy hearts that we condole the families in Anambra State who lost their loved ones in a stampede at the Holy Ghost Adoration Ministry in Uke during a night vigil organized by a Catholic priest Rev Fr Emmanuel Obimma. At the end of the night vigil about 30 people had their lives cut short as a result of stampede which we are yet to know the cause. We learnt according to Governor Obi himself that he was invited to the night vigil of the Holy Ghost Ministry and he has the fundamental rights to attend to seek the face of God. He attended the vigil with the National Chairman of APGA Chief Victor Umeh, and the APGA Guber aspirant, Mr. Willie Obiano and other party faithfuls like Okey Udeh, Ifeanyi Ibezi, Joe Martins Uzodike and others; including the government’s security details. They were in full APGA Regalia showing the world that their mission went beyond seeking the face of God. They went in search of votes for the forthcoming guber elections coming up on Saturday November 16 2013.
“Gov Obi spoke and canvassed for votes for his candidate. He even made a donation of N5million to the ministry. We were told that when the vigil turned to a political rally, the congregation began to murmur. We figured that this behavior infuriated the governor’s security details. One thing led to the other, and consequently there was stampede and about 30 innocent people died.
“Gov Obi has addressed a Press Conference and declared three days of mourning and promised to set up a panel of enquiry to look into the tragedy. The National Chairman of APGA Chief Victor Umeh in his own statement called for arrest of Senator Chris Ngige for inciting people of Anambra State against the Governor.
“Now The Critical Questions:
1. Was Ngige in Uke?
2. Was Ngige in campaign uniform there?
3. What happened in Uke on Friday night?
4. What caused the stampede?
5. Did the Rev Father Emmanuel invite Gov Obi and others to come and campaign in a purely religious event?
6. Judging from the number of people there, are we suggesting Ngige has no supporters amongst them given that Uke shares a common border with Alor, where Ngige comes from?
7. Who does not know that Ngige is a Senator who represents that Senatorial zone in the Senate?
8. Why is Chief Victor Umeh asking for Ngige to be arrested because APGA got their fingers burnt by playing dangerous politics in a Church programme?
9. Who will believe or trust Gov Obi’s panel of enquiry when it is obvious that he is the principal actor in the whole drama? He cannot be a judge in a matter that he is involved in.
10. Can Rev Father Emmanuel Obimma speak the truth of what happened against the backdrop that liars have seized the centre stage again to deceive the public?
11. Will His Excellency Gov Peter Obi have the courage, politics or no politics speak the truth now that blood has been shed?
12. Can we get the video coverage of what happened?
“We want to put the whole world on notice that APGA is getting desperate in this Anambra elections. The other day they went to Onitsha to force the traders to close their shops for campaigns. The people resisted and waved the brooms to them. As if that was not enough they went to town that Senator Chris Ngige slapped a Catholic priest. It took a Press Conference by the Priest in question to debunk their blatant and pathological lies. Both Senator Ngige and Gov Obi are Catholics. Ngige has become a thorn in the flesh and every contestant in Anambra knows this. The fear of Ngige is now the beginning of wisdom in Anambra State. They know that they cannot match Ngige in anything, so their plan is to use propaganda to bring the man to their miserable level.
“Now for the avoidance of doubt let me reinstate 10 reasons why Ngige will be the next governor of Anambra State:
1. Dr Chris Ngige is a trained Medical Doctor of almost 40 years
2. He was in Federal civil service for 18 years
3. He has served as a Governor for 3 years and made unprecedented impact under very difficult and dangerous circumstances
4. He is serving Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
5. He is first President General of Aka Ikenga, an organization of Igbo Intellectuals
6. He liberated Anambra State from despicable Money bags and notorious godfathers
7. Of all the candidates contesting for the Anambra Governorship, Senator Ngige is the most experienced both in politics and governance
8. Ngige is the only candidate that opened the eyes of the people of Anambra State that there is money in Government contrary to the picture previous Governors painted.
9. Ngige initiated and started the extensive road networks we have in Anambra today.
10. Ngige is the boldest, the most courageous, capacity driven, independent minded, most outspoken, fearless, strong willed, and firm among the lots.”
•Photo shows Chief Joe Igbokwe.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.