Air Force strikes Boko Haram camps as BBOG, others arrive for North-East tour •Drama as Lai Mohammed, BBOG disagree at airport

Posted by News Express | 16 January 2017 | 1,442 times

Gmail icon

Information Minister Lai Mohammed discussing with BBOG Convener Oby Ezekwesili (R) and another BBOG

The Nigerian Air Force says it has destroyed several Boko Haram terrorist camps located in northern Borno State, North-East Nigeria.

The Air Force in a statement signed by the Director, NAF Public Relations and Information, Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, said the attack was carried out after surveillance intelligence report showed remnants of the terrorists in that location.

It said that intelligence report showed survivors of a previous attack in Kangarwa converging in the area.

The statement came on a day the BringBackOurGirls Group (BBOG) and a Federal Government delegation arrived in the North-East to witness efforts by the military to rescue the remaining abducted Chibok school girls.

Before they left the Abuja airport on Monday morning, there was a mild drama as the group insisted that the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, should board the same aircraft with the BBOG delegation.

The initial plan was for the BBOG delegation to be conveyed to Yola alongside some journalists while the Minister would join another aircraft.

But that was turned down at the airport tarmac by the BBOG delegation, which insisted that none of their members would board the flight if the Minister was not joining them.

After a series of explanations, the Minister conceded to joining other participants in the same flight.

The government delegation also included the Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali, and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar.

On arrival at the Air Force Base in Yola, the Nigerian Air Force briefed on their operations so far.

The Commanding Officer, Air Vice Marshal Nurudeen Balogun, explained that over two billion naira was spent in 2016 to ensure a functional air component of the Operation Lafiya Dole.

Air Vice Marshall Balogun informed members of the BBOG group that efforts were on to find the remaining abducted Chibok schools girls and other persons, who were abducted by the Boko Haram insurgents.

He added that the latest release of abducted persons was secured between January 7 and 12 and they have been handed over to the troop in Maiduguri.
•Based on reports by Channels TV and TV360 Nigeria.


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...