Posted by News Express | 17 October 2016 | 2,231 times
Fire at the Akenfa residence of Bayelsa State Chairman of Board of Internal Revenue, Mr. Nimibofa Ayawei, Saturday, killed his son and the son’s girlfriend.
They were in the building at Akenfa, a suburb of Yenagoa, the state capital, when the fire incident occurred, which neighbours later put out.
A family source, Mr. James Akan, confirmed that the two victims were Mr. Mike Ayawei and his girlfriend, whose name could not be immediately ascertained.
Mr. Ayawei, the revenue board chairman, was not in the building when the incident happened.
Akan said that the fire started early on Saturday, following the restoration of power by Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company, raising suspicion that the fire may have been caused by power surge.
According to him, “When power was restored, there was a loud explosion and other occupants of rooms in the house started running for safety.
“Mike was trying to save his girlfriend before they were caught up in the fire. Others even broke the burglary proof in an effort to save them, but help came too late. He unfortunately died trying to save his girlfriend.”
According to Akan, Ayawei just recovered from a serious ailment and was away for a burial ceremony when the fire broke out.
He said the family was in grief now and will soon prepare for the burial of the two victims.
Contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Asinim Butswat, said that the command received a distress call that a house was burning and immediately dispatched a response team.
However, the Head of Fire Service, Yenagoa, Mr. Dennis Obumor, said the fire service was not contacted. (Vanguard)
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.