Army Commander reacts to reports on Buratai’s Dubai property

Posted by News Express | 27 June 2016 | 2,209 times

Gmail icon


The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Leo Irabor, has reacted to some issues contained in a story, published on June 24 by Sahara Reporters, an online medium, which alleged that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and his wives own some properties in Dubai.

At a press conference held on Saturday in Maiduguri, the Commander noted that the report among other vicious and smear campaign issues, impugned that some concerned officers and soldiers in the North East’ allegedly wrote a petition on the state of affairs in the Operation Lafiya Dole, describing it as a baseless, unfounded and wicked insinuation.

“It is for this reason that I call you today to clear issues as they affect Operation Lafiya Dole. The other issue regarding property in Dubai is outside my purview, but has been responded to appropriately by the Acting Director Army Public Relations.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, since assumption of office, has taken the affairs of Operation Lafiya Dole to a level that showed unparalleled commitment to the operational effectiveness and good welfare of troops. For example, between January and now, the COAS has provided various quantities of ammunition types, vehicles and other equipment in the Theatre. He has equally provided uniforms and boots for all the troops in Operation Lafiya Dole,” the Commander said.

He stressed that the payment of allowances and other requirements have been regular and in most cases, up-front, adding that the COAS’ regular visits to the frontline are well known to all. According to the Commander, the aggregate impact of the efforts is the huge operational successes being recorded in the Theatre. The morale of troops has equally risen to a level that was never witnessed in the past.   

He said, “The report further imputed that the motorcycles inducted into Operation Lafiya Dole  and employed by the Motorcycle Battalion, were used and refurbished. What a sad tale of lies! When a report of that nature was received earlier, the COAS instituted a high-powered investigation by Military Police. The findings of the investigation team revealed that the motorcycles were brand new and were delivered in crates as knocked-down-parts. The technicians who fixed some of them, failed to tighten some knots firmly which was later rectified. Ever since, the motorcycles have proven useful in various operations.

“The Motorcycle Battalion comprises trained counter-terrorist personnel, skilled in the use of motorcycles to enhance the capability of own forces to patrol, block routes, picket and pursue any remnants of the BHTs who usually use motorcycles in terrains where four-wheel vehicles cannot manouver. So, this has proved successful in the last major Operation Crack Down, which has practically brought to an end the activities of the Boko Haram terrorists particularly along Maiduguri-Damboa-Biu and Damaturu-Buni Yadi Biu roads, which were opened to the public earlier in the year.

“I consider this publication as part of the concerted, organised terrorist strategy to distract our winning spirit in the war against BHT. We will not lose traction. That is our resolve. All officers and soldiers in Operation Lafiya Dole are committed and dogged in this resolve.

“I call on all well-meaning Nigerians, especially those who reside in the North East, being the direct beneficiaries of the great gains made by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole under the firm direction of COAS.”


Source: News Express

Readers Comments

0 comment(s)

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.


You may also like...