Posted by News Express | 3 June 2016 | 1,851 times
The Federal Government, for the second time in a week failed to fulfil its promise to release the list of recovered stolen assets this week.
President Muhammadu Buhari had on May 14 while attending the anti-corruption summit in London, said he would May 29, 2016 provide details of all recovered stolen public funds.
The President, however, during his Democracy Day broadcast on Sunday (May 29) reneged on his promise and said he had directed the Ministry of Information to periodically publish details on the assets recovered so far.
He said: “We are also engaged in making recovery of stolen assets some of which are in different jurisdictions. The processes of recovery can be tedious and time-consuming, but today, I can confirm that thus far, significant amount of assets have been recovered. Full details of the status and categories of the assets will now be published by the Ministry of Information and updated periodically.”
Commenting on the issue, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, during a television programme on Channels Television to mark President Buhari’s one year in office, said that the list of recovered stolen assets would be released but without the names of the looters for legal reasons.
Also, the presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, said that the list of looted funds would be released latest by Thursday (yesterday). However, the day passed and as at the time of this publication, the list was yet to be released.
•Partly based on a Guardian report. Photo shows Lai Mohammed.
No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.