NewsExpress banner Firstbank Verve banner Fidelity bank card banner Umm Sulaim's Thoughts Camano banner

Unlawful Detention by FG: Dasuki wins round one at ECOWAS Court

By News Express on 11/04/2016

Gmail icon

Views: 1,844


Immediate former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Muhammed Sambo Dasuki (Rtd.), has triumphed at the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) Court in the first leg of his court action challenging his alleged unlawful arrest and detention without trial since December last year by the Nigerian Government.

Against the objection of government, the court sitting in Abuja today ruled that it has jurisdiction to entertain the suit brought before it by Dasuki for the enforcement of his fundamental rights to liberty and to own property as enshrined in the provisions of the Nigerian 1999 Constitution and African Charter on Fundamental Rights of Persons.

In the ruling delivered by Justice Friday Chijoke Nwoke, the ECOWAS Court dismissed the objection of the government against the suit on the ground that the objection was misconceived, frivolous and lacked merit.

Justice Nwoke in the unanimous ruling of the three-member panel of the court held that the claim of government that Dasuki’s case emanated from his trial on certain offences was inappropriate and being the basis for his objection to the applicants case in this matter cannot hold water since the relieves sought by Dasuki have nothing to do with the ongoing trial at the domestic courts of Nigeria.

The court held that the claim of government that Dasuki ought to have filed contempt charge against the Nigerian Government for disobeying court orders that admitted him to bail but flouted by the defendant cannot be sustained because the case of the applicant is not ambiguous, in that it has no root from any criminal trial in any court.

Justice Nwoke said that at any rate the case of the Nigerian Government cannot stand in the face of the law because there is no evidence that Dasuki has filed similar pending matter in any international court and that even if he has similar matter in any Nigerian court up to the Supreme Court, such domestic court cannot have the status of international court as envisaged in the treaty in which Nigeria is a signatory.

“In our opinion,” he said, “what Dasuki brought before us as a case is an issue for the enforcement of his fundamental rights to liberty and own property and against unlawful arrest, unlawful detention and unlawful seizure of properties without any court order or warrant of arrest.

“From the totality of the issues brought before this court, it is clear and there is no ambiguity that the applicant is seeking enforcement of his right to freedom and not on the issue of his trail for any alleged offence before any Nigerian court.”

Justice Nwoke further said: “Therefore, the objection of the government and the request that the case of the applicant in this matter be struck out on the ground of emanating from any criminal matter has no basis, the claims and the request lack merit and hereby dismissed and we declare that the application of Dasuki is admissible to this court.”

The ECOWAS Court said that it was not out to decide the issue of whether the applicant is guilty of the charges against him in the Nigerian courts or not but simply to ascertain whether his fundamental rights to liberty having been granted bail in criminal matters and rearrested since last year and kept in an unknown place constitute an abuse of his rights to freedom.

Dasuki through his lawyers, Meesrs Robert Emukpoeruo and Wale Balogun, had dragged the Federal Government of Nigeria before the ECOWAS Court to complain that the invasion of his houses in Abuja, Kaduna and Sokoto without any court order or warrant of arrest and even seizure of his properties comprising vehicles, money and documents constituted the abuse of his rights to liberty as enshrined in section 36 and 34 of the 1999 Constitution and other international laws to which Nigeria is a signatory.

Besides, he complained that the invasion of his house by operatives of government without lawful court order traumatised his 94 years old father who received shock and up till now has not recovered from the sickness that followed.

Dasuki therefore asked the ECOWAS court to award N500 million compensatory damages in his favour having been denied access to medical attention in abroad as ordered by a Nigerian court since November last year.

The government through its lawyer, Mr Tijani Gazali, had objected to Dasuki’s case on the ground that ECOWAS Court has no jurisdiction to dabble into the trial of any Nigerian in the Nigerian court and ask the ECOWAS court to strike out Dasuki’s case because it constituted an abuse to the Nigerian courts.

Definite hearing in the matter has been fixed for May 17 and 18, 2016.

•Photo shows Sambo Dasuki.

Source News Express

Posted 11/04/2016 9:14:46 PM

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

 

You may also like...
Adedokun reads from new book, ‘The danfo driver...

Nigeria still among world’s poorest nations: United Nations...

Egyptian military admits sentencing 4-year-old boy to life...

Reality TV star Kylie Jenner gives birth

Boko Haram: UN resumes aid operations in Rann...

NASS Commission dares Saraki, insists on Acting Clerk’s...

4-month-old baby dies in Onitsha fire tragedy

Arase confirmed as IGP, assures Nigerians of justice...

Senate to accelerate passage of Vacancies Bill —...

Okowa congratulates new NUJ President, Odusile

200,000 graduates to get FG’s jobs this month:...

Missing passenger plane: Relatives victims threaten hunger strike...

 

Latest News Customs begins recruitment of officers, men Eight family members perish in gas explosion Constituency projects: How Senators, Reps steal billions — ICPC Boko Haram kills 19 herds Enugu set to pay N30,000 minimum wage Abuja-Kano road collapses amid project delay No RUGA in Ebonyi, South East, Umahi insists Why Abuja, Lagos are sinking in Quality of Living City Ranking Ohanaeze warns mischief makers, insists Nwodo’s tenure ends 2021 Budget 2020 faces fresh hurdle over N50 billion extra projects Nigeria has only 42,000 doctors, says NMA President Invasion of THE SUN premises a reminder of the military era — Uwazurike

 

Most Read NUDE PHOTO OF OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE surfaces online (573,463 views) Nigerian female sex addict opens up, says ‘I like it with both men and women’ (457,293 views) Shameless Genevieve Nnaji exposes breasts in public (407,357 views) Finally named: The full list of friends of Nigerian female sex addict who prowled Facebook (341,974 views) OLUMBA OLUMBA OBU (the one who called himself God) IS DEAD (308,535 views) 10 cars more expensive than Jets (293,482 views) Igbo scholar disgraces Femi Fani-Kayode •Demolishes claims on Igbo/Yoruba history with facts and figures (261,695 views) Breaking News: POPULAR REVEREND CONVERTS TO ISLAM in Kaduna (Nigeria) (261,002 views) OBJ’s son reported dead in Lagos plane crash •Names of more victims emerge (242,428 views) My wasted years in Olumba Olumba Obu’s Evil Brotherhood (228,821 views) Lagos plane crash: Journalist releases victims’ names (204,498 views) THE FINAL DISGRACE: Igbo scholar unleashes more facts about Igbo/Yoruba history, finishes off Femi Fani-Kayode with second article (200,819 views)

 

CBN milk production

CBN banner advert

UBA Wise Savers Promo

 

Categories Advertorials (3) African Press Organisation (81) Art & Literature (112) Business & Economy (4,625) Business Verdict (89) Columnists (1,158) Complaints & Requests (98) Enterprise & Opportunities (221) Entertainment (719) Features (858) Global Business Monitor (499) ICT Monitor (73) International (4,330) Interview (220) Live Commentary (30) Love Matters (179) Maggie's Blog (520) News (55,339) Opinion (1,444) Pidgin (18) Politics (11,899) Religion (1,133) Sports (2,258) Stock Watch (41) AMA & Al Jazeera Global Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

APO Group Partner

 

 

CLASSIFIED ADS

GOCOP Accredited Member

GOCOP Accredited member

 

 

Africa Media Agency and Al Jazeera